Speaker baffle problems

klepto
10+ year member

Perveyor of Filth
So i have some rather large speakers with an outside diameter of 7 1/2 (Crystals). I am putting them in the place of the stock 5x7/6x8 holes with 1/2'' MDF baffles. Now after cutting the baffles to fit the speaker and line up with the stock door holes im left with a problem i knew i was going to have.

My door has ridges in it around the 5x7 hole that interfere with the flush mounting of the baffle. Here is a pic in which you can see the ridge.

You can see the ridge in the right hand side...

And here are some pics of me putting the baffle up to the actual door. You can see there are some serious gaps because of the large OD of the speakers and the ridges iin the door.

How would i go about sealing these gaps? Some sort of caulk? Silicone? More dampner? I all ready plan on using non hardning model clay on the finished product but that is no where near strong enough to seal these gaps.

Thanks.

yep.. you live in san jose, go to the michael's at mccarthy ranch.. i just got some this weekend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.