Soundqubed HDS208 T-Line Box Design

Participant count
  • Participant list

turtlestrap

Oregon
Would it be possible for you guys to review my subwoofer box design for the HDS208?

I am designing a T-Line box for it. It is my first every box design and I have been doing a ton of research, so any input is highly appreciated.

So, based off the Fs of the sub, 44.41Hz, a quarter of the wavelength is

(1130ft/s)/(44.41/s)=25.6 ft/4 = 6.4 ft of port length. (76.8 in.)

For a T-Line, we also want the port area to equal the area of the subwoofer cone. I assumed the piston diameter was the same as the diameter of the cone, so I got the area to be 32 in^2. So, I went into Google Sketchup and mocked up a design. Due to the small port area and size constrictions, I need to have the subwoofer inverted.

So, I have a port of dimensions 12.5" x 2.5" x 76.8"

ClJNy9f.png

rn6iai5.png

Thanks a lot!

Gonna take a little more time bro. Not many T-line aficionados on this site. There are a few good tutorials on T-lines out there. Give one a thorough read and check your numbers against what they have and see where you end up. Would love to know how this ends up

gonna take a little more time bro. Not many t-line aficionados on this site. There are a few good tutorials on t-lines out there. Give one a thorough read and check your numbers against what they have and see where you end up. Would love to know how this ends up
x2

Thanks. I've been trying to research as much as i can for a couple days now. Read a lot of t line theory and went to SMD forums and read up there and watch youtube videos too. Would post in SMD but you need an admin approval for new account to post and no admin online for days now :O But there is a lot of different information out there so i wanted to see if anyone that knows what they're doing to see if my box works.

Again, thanks for the inputs so far. Much appreciated. First box design, had a lot of prefab boxes before and really itching to start building //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

UPDATE: I contacted SQ and they sent my designs to Aaron Trimble of Digital Designs and he said it looks good! So looks like I'm gonna be building it!

Real quick question. When mounting the subwoofer inverted, since it looks like there is not much room between the mounting holes and the surround and I don't want to have any chance of surround rub, can I mount the sub normally, and then flip over the front baffle so that the sub is sticking out? Is that an appropriate way to mount it inverted? Sub and port will both be horizontal, pointed towards tail lights in the trunk.

I would change the cut (looking at the pic above the short, right side of the port) make it fit between the front plate and that back port plate.

So basically that short port piece would end up 1.5 inches shorter and the front and back pieces would each be 3/4 longer...

Fwiw I build a lot of boxes.

Real quick question. When mounting the subwoofer inverted, since it looks like there is not much room between the mounting holes and the surround and I don't want to have any chance of surround rub, can I mount the sub normally, and then flip over the front baffle so that the sub is sticking out? Is that an appropriate way to mount it inverted? Sub and port will both be horizontal, pointed towards tail lights in the trunk.
Yes that would be fine.
You would have to take the box apart to get the sub out though

I would change the cut (looking at the pic above the short, right side of the port) make it fit between the front plate and that back port plate.
So basically that short port piece would end up 1.5 inches shorter and the front and back pieces would each be 3/4 longer...

Fwiw I build a lot of boxes.
Like this? :

eWxJOIY.jpg

Is there a major downside to how I had it in the original post? Im lazy and already have all my boards drawn out on the MDF sheet and don't want to change it if I don't have to haha. Thanks for the info!!

You could do the cutout the size of the outside surround and then lay the sub into place making sure there's clearance and use a pencil to trace the outer gasket of the sub, then you would know exactly where to place the sub where it needs to be mounted when you get the box built.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

turtlestrap

turtlestrap
Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CSCStang