sound quality songs: what is a good test of your system?

the eagles songs are a good call for sure- do you have the "hotel california" dvd?

of course classical is always good

what you guys think of alice in chains unplugged?

Eric Clapton unplugged is one of my favorites too (but it's getting old)

another random one that doesn't necessarily do as good of a job- is some of the fred wreck beats on kurupt's space boogie album (totally different direction_

Next time use the search button.

The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over Allison Krauss & Union Station - Live

Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room

John Williams - pretty much anything, though the opening theme to Revenge of the Sith has incredible midbass

Harry Gregson-Williams - Chronicles of Narnia OST, track #11 ("The Battle") will give your midbasses a workout starting at 36 seconds...

Dire Straits - why not get everything by them? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif All amazingly well-recorded...

Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

Alice in Chains - Unplugged

Joanna Newsom - Y's

Just a start...

i've posted in 2 or 3 threads in the past which discussed this same topic- sorry for not searching them etc.

I was looking to get a fresh perspective etc.- as i will need to pick a few of these to use for some judging in the near future.

-drew

I use a variety of songs to test different aspects of the system. Here are some of my list:

For low frequency extension while blending with the front stage, I listen to these:

Ayreon - Day Three: Pain

NIN - No you Don't

Orphaned Land - Ocean Land

Tracy Chapman - Fast Car

For checking midbass and imaging:

Aphex Twin - Girl Boy Song

Talking Heads - Papa Legba

Checking for a sibilance:

Boston - Amanda

Boston - Living for You

For vocals:

Bruce Springsteen - Streets of Philadelphia

Evanescence - Hello

Rush - Resist

Vocal Imaging:

Ayreon - Day Eight: School

Ayreon - Farside of the World

Ayreon - The Dream Sequencer

Listening for small details and noise:

K-PAX Sound track - July 27th (the 2:00 mark also has some nice low end and then after that, it's very soft and you can really pick out noise and other artifacts... if set up correctly, there are all sorts of neat sounds in this part)

K-PAX Sound track - New Mexico

For sub and midbass transient response:

DragonForce - Storming The Burning Fields

Quo Vadis - On The Shore Of Ithaca

Bury Your Dead - Eyes Wide Shut

Bass Mekanik - Toccata in B

I use most, if not all, of those songs when I'm setting things up. I also listen to them a lot as I enjoy all of them.

I usually get stuck on Ayreon albums due to the recording of them and the use of synthesizers for progressive rock. There are a ton of Ayreon songs that have material as low as 15hz and it sounds very neat on a system that can dig that low and remain flat doing it. The instruments are also always recorded well on his albums. Great stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.