JL 10W7 sound quality?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Generally they are used to create a flat response
For setting gain on your full range you do not adjust the eq, you leave it flat. After that you tailor the sound to your liking. As for the sub amp, it has a bass adjustment at your fingertips. The stronger the signal it gets the easier it is for it to reach it's optimum output. 45Hz is the midpoint of it's operating range so why would you not want that frequency at it's maximum input.
As for that rogue 45Hz wave waiting to pounce, I have never heard of it. Maybe in a subpar headunit but all the radios I have seen have defeatable curves.
That reminds me; some manufacturers have gone as far as adding a dedicated subwoofer output channel. Would it not be best to max that for setting the gain?
I am sure if OP maxes the bass in the radio's eq, he will easily reach the desired voltage with zero negative consequences.
TBH, I do see your point of view. I am not being obstinate but am just operating on a proven method which has yet to fail me.

For setting gain on your full range you do not adjust the eq, you leave it flat. After that you tailor the sound to your liking. As for the sub amp, it has a bass adjustment at your fingertips. The stronger the signal it gets the easier it is for it to reach it's optimum output. 45Hz is the midpoint of it's operating range so why would you not want that frequency at it's maximum input.
As for that rogue 45Hz wave waiting to pounce, I have never heard of it. Maybe in a subpar headunit but all the radios I have seen have defeatable curves.
That reminds me; some manufacturers have gone as far as adding a dedicated subwoofer output channel. Would it not be best to max that for setting the gain?
I am sure if OP maxes the bass in the radio's eq, he will easily reach the desired voltage with zero negative consequences.
TBH, I do see your point of view. I am not being obstinate but am just operating on a proven method which has yet to fail me.
There is no rouge 45hz wave waiting to pounce; it's not rouge, per your gain setting procedure, you put it there - a giant 12-24db boost. That much boost at that frequency turns the subwoofer into one note wonder. You're exchanging making clipping nearly impossible for having system where every bass hit will sound the same. It'll sound like absolute garbage with rock, heavy metal, jazz, classical or just about anything other than rap and edm.

per your gain setting procedure, you put it there - a giant 12-24db boost. That much boost at that frequency turns the subwoofer into one note wonder
This here is where you knowledge goes over my head. I have set every system entrusted to me with this method. Only a handful of times have I gotten one note wonders, which I rectified by suggesting a different sub box. Again, I do understand that you assume I should have a boomy muddy sub stage because of my procedure, but I don't. Never had and I know why. I have always used the subwoofer manufacturer's suggested box specifications. Whether it is prefab or home made, I do not deviate from those specs (because I do not know box design).
So maybe on paper you are correct, but in practice it is another outcome. Well, for me anyways.

This here is where you knowledge goes over my head. I have set every system entrusted to me with this method. Only a handful of times have I gotten one note wonders, which I rectified by suggesting a different sub box. Again, I do understand that you assume I should have a boomy muddy sub stage because of my procedure, but I don't. Never had and I know why. I have always used the subwoofer manufacturer's suggested box specifications. Whether it is prefab or home made, I do not deviate from those specs (because I do not know box design).
So maybe on paper you are correct, but in practice it is another outcome. Well, for me anyways.
Try listening to a good set of headphones (Audio-Technica, Sony, Phillips, Senn, not Beats) and you'll see how exaggerated your sub's ~45hz range is. Turn your bass boost to 0db and turn the gain up 12db and you'll notice a huge difference with rock, jazz, blues, etc.

You have the crossover turned all the way down? It looks like it has a LPF at 40 HZ when turned all the way down. A 60 HZ test tone will be filtered out. Turn the filter up a little maybe. Is that push button on the left labeled “HP” and “PB” a switch between a high pass filter and a low pas filter?
With PB bass comes in, HP plays sharper, less bass. If i start to turn filter a bit, voltage raises, but barely, maxed out with 300Hz gives 6.8ACV.
--------------
Okey, tried playing 40Hz tone, Amp set on PB 40Hz, gain all the way up, i get 7ACV
40Hz tone, Amp set on PB 300Hz, gain all the way up, 9.5ACV
With HP filter voltage also low. 40Hz i think shows like 4 volts. These numbers i get with head unit raised to 75% volume and everything flat.

Last edited:
Turn your bass boost to 0db and turn the gain up 12db and you'll notice a huge difference with rock, jazz, blues, etc.
I tried the flat setting to no avail. It turns out my gain is already set to it's lowest voltage input, so setting eq bass flat completely attenuates my bass output.
Although thanks to your input, I found that my settings were wrong. What I thought was the 45Hz slide, is actually 100Hz. The reason for that is the radio has a Sub output channel for the 45Hz curve. Now I know why it was easy to blend the sub stage with the front; I had 100Hz maxed out! I set that halfway and the subs sound better. These are flat subs so they benefit from flatter upper bass notes.
Thank you for you input.

I tried the flat setting to no avail. It turns out my gain is already set to it's lowest voltage input, so setting eq bass flat completely attenuates my bass output.
Although thanks to your input, I found that my settings were wrong. What I thought was the 45Hz slide, is actually 100Hz. The reason for that is the radio has a Sub output channel for the 45Hz curve. Now I know why it was easy to blend the sub stage with the front; I had 100Hz maxed out! I set that halfway and the subs sound better. These are flat subs so they benefit from flatter upper bass notes.
Thank you for you input.
Why is your gain structure messed up? Typically, the gain input sensitivity ranges from ~200mv to 5v+. Usually the output voltage of a HU is 2v or more.

Why is your gain structure messed up? Typically, the gain input sensitivity ranges from ~200mv to 5v+. Usually the output voltage of a HU is 2v or more.
It surprised me as well. It is a Pioneer Appradio on a JL HD750/1. The adjustments I made were lower the 100Hz to 50% and raise the subwoofer output frequency to 120Hz. I use the amp's x-over for that setting.
20230320_142838.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...