Question on sound quality

Leonidas051

CarAudio.com Newbie
Europe
Dear Audiophiles and enthusiasts.
As a kind of layman I need to ask for some clarification...
I've always been lead to believe that aside from loudness, a quality setup sounds cleaner, in a way.
Now english is not my first language so bear with me while I try to put it in words.
For example, sitting in a bar with cheap speakers and the volume up you can barely hear yourself think, let alone talk to someone. Sitting in my favourite restaurant with a Bang&Olufsen above my head I can easily hold a conversation even with the volume up. As if a cheaper sound system smothers the entire frequency range while a quality one plays exactly what it should and nothing more.

Now, to my point. I one of my cars, basically a workhorse I've done nothing but replaced the head unit (just for bluetooth connectivity) and obviously, it's crap. It goes reasonably loud but the quality is such that you get a headache after a while on high volume. That's what i meant with the bar comparisson, yeah it's loud but it gets painfull to listen to.
Meanwhile in another car I sold tecently' I had a decent setup. It was years ago so I don't remember the specifics but a run of the mill Pioneer head unit, Hertz speakers, Infinity Kappa amp and a Focal 10'' sub. Nothing crazy but it was a decent sounding system. Important thing was, even at max volume I could still (kind of) have a conversation. Not a very clear one mind you but the midrange wasn't smothered completely.

Well recently I got a new car and had to do something about the audio setup so I kept it simple, JBL all around. Two way components forward, coax due to space in the rear, a small 8'' sub (it's a tiny car), all driven by a jbl club 5055 amp.
Only thing I haven't managed as yet is changing the head unit, still waiting for the "infotainment" adapter (damned vehicle settings and menus going trough the head unit). But the plan is to install an Alpine Halo9 eventually.

And finally I arrive to my point, sorry.

The system as it is now (factory head unit) is frankly more reminiscent of my crappy car then the previous one with a cheaper sound system then I have now.
Yes, it's loud and while it's still not distorted at high volume, it just feels like there's more noise than there should be...it gets painfull after a while on high volume and can't even heat myself think let alone talk...

Finally, a question. Does anyone think a new head unit will improve the overall experience or did I just fck up with the JBL setup..? Cause honestly, I expected more from speakers with SQ in the name...

Thanks all and sorry for the long post!

Hi
If there’s any eq adjustment available try that. Having so many options makes finding something good more challenging.
If you recall, an amp with clean power can help immensely in the pursuit of sq. Available speaker material is worth exploring as this makes a difference in the sq. Tweeter material, style and available location is another factor. If you have a 4 channel amp consider setting the low pass co to the frequency the speakers are capable of. I think a typical eq setting looks like a smile although this isn’t certain to work in all cases.
You may also recall the need for adequate power to supply the equipment. Too big is better than too small referring to wire size, not in all cases though as it has to fit in the connectors

Turn down any eq adjustments and boost/bass boost. Avoid V or smiley faced eq settings, those tend to introduce clipping on the low and high end and smoother the midrange.

first, set you gains right, heres how. test tones are at the very bottom...

then read this to understand tuning...

Well recently I got a new car and had to do something about the audio setup so I kept it simple, JBL all around. Two way components forward, coax due to space in the rear, a small 8'' sub (it's a tiny car), all driven by a jbl club 5055 amp.
Are you using a digital Line Output Converter? A clean strong signal is a very desirable feature from any OEM headunit. The LOC will provide that.

Hi all and thanks for the replies!

Are you using a digital Line Output Converter? A clean strong signal is a very desirable feature from any OEM headunit. The LOC will provide that.

Not at the moment. As mentioned, yhe factory head unit is just a temporary solution until all required connections arrive to plug in a new Alpine Halo9. The question should have been more along the lines of "can I expect the sound quality to improve drastically with a quality aftermarket head unit?"
If the answer is no, I'll look into installing a LOC, thanks for the advice!
Btw the amp is on speaker level inputs right now, hoping with the new HU and RCA connections things will improve as well...

first, set you gains right, heres how. test tones are at the very bottom...
I'll need to reset the Gain once the new head unit is in so I'll look into that, thanks a lot! At the moment not sure how the gain was set, the whole thing was installed in shop...but good to know it affects things that much, thanks again!

Turn down any eq adjustments and boost/bass boost. Avoid V or smiley faced eq settings, those tend to introduce clipping on the low and high end and smoother the midrange.
Boost/loudness or whatever it is is off, and the eq is basically a flat line with slightly increased top and bottom. Midrange is completely flat. Thanks for the advice on eq!

Having so many options makes finding something good more challenging.
So the setup so far is as follows;
Amp- JBL Club A5055
Front- JBL Club 605 CSQ
Rear- JBL Club 625 SQ
Sub- JBL Stage 82
Power cables- Ground Zero (not sure if you have it in US, very respectable German manufacturer) 20mm2 size, believe it translates to 4 AWG, according to JBL amp user manual.
The amp is 5 channel and I believe the HPF was set around 80Hz so should be fine...
Incoming HU- Alpine iLX-f905D

Thanks for the input everyone, still hoping it gets better with the final parts...

The best thing for sound quality from the head unit is the preout voltage. They typically vary from 2.0 to 5.0 volts. The higher the voltage the cleaner the signal you are starting with. From there get an amp that has low THD. Quality RCA cables are not something to skimp on. Set your gains right, and you don't need massive speaker wire, but if you are using an amp, then run your own speaker wire.

If you want sound quality, then also definitely recommend using some sound deadener on your vehicle. It helps to create a slight sound barrier between you and the rest of the world. Most people start with doors because its directly between you and other vehicles. You can do the floors and trunk area to block out sounds from your own vehicle, (exhaust, tires, engine). It will also help you hear your music much better at lower volumes. My best example is to open your windows and listen to your music as low as you can so that it's still clear. Do that for about 15 minutes, then close the windows. That's about what sound deadener will do again when you add it to your vehicle. Definitely one of my favorite things I did. I have several grand in my stereo into a reg cab pickup, and I really started appreciating being able to have it quiet. "It will block out a lot of ambient noise that can overlap".

One of the things that I noticed about my music, is my ears start to hurt if I listen to too much over 10K - 20K hz on the eq. Over 10K is non vocal, real high pitched like a cymbal or bell tings. I can listen to my music at concert volume levels all day, and enjoy it, as long as I have those high frequencies filtered out. Its as if my ear is internally squeamish, and tries to squint it out. I would also suggest trying to drop the highest eq setting as far off as you can, and see if that changes how you're hearing it over time.

P.S. If you didn't say English wasn't your first language nobody would have known. I think there was one word that was off. Yours is better than most people who only speak it.

Last edited:
The best thing for sound quality from the head unit is the preout voltage. They typically vary from 2.0 to 5.0 volts. The higher the voltage the cleaner the signal you are starting with.
6V preouts expected from the Alpine in about 2 weeks!
At the moment it's connected via speaker level inputs since I don't really have much of an option...

From there get an amp that has low THD.
According to the manual, THD+N <1%

Quality RCA cables are not something to skimp on.
Triple shielded, gold plated Ground Zero cables already installed and ready to be connected.

run your own speaker wire.
Already replaced, also Ground Zero.

If you want sound quality, then also definitely recommend using some sound deadener on your vehicle.
Approx 32 square feet of Ground Zero alubutyl mats already all over the car. Should be enough considering it's tiny...
The issue is I cant really ever deaden the noise completely since it's kind of a soft top...never gonna be completely quiet...
But I don't mind a bit of engine noise, I like it loud anyways :D

See, I came prepaired and didn't really skimp on anything, hence my slight disappointment with the interim results...

I would also suggest trying to drop the highest eq setting as far off as you can, and see if that changes how you're hearing it over time.
Now that is a very good point well made, gonna try that in the car as well as at the home setup to try and identify if I have a problem with a specific frequency range... thanks for that idea!

As far as english goes, it's kind of a blessing being born in a tiny country, means that without decent english you can't really communicate with the rest of the world.
But thanks :)
And also for all the advice!

Last edited:
Greetings all you helpful people out there!
Just wanted to update whoever is interested on the situation above.

If there's anyone out there wondering wheather or not changing one of these newer more complicated and more integrated OE head units is worth the hassle, turns out, YES, a new headunit is sooo worth it in terms of sound quality. Provided of course you can find the correct adaptor kit to keep the vehicle menu functionality etc.

Changing the Amp, speakers, wiring etc is a good way to improve the overall sound but it's all for nothing if the head unit's output signal is crap.

I realize most of yall are aware of that but for any newbies (like myself) out there wondering if it's worth it, especially if you like it loud, go for it! Your ears will be grateful!

Thanks again you kind people!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...