sound on speaker breaking up after amplifier installation

Participant count
  • Participant list

ryan.rt94

Hi,

I recently installed a fusion EN AM 3002 amp with a subwoofer and two extra speakers into my 2003 ford focus. So now I have 4 door speakers, two extra speakers (Driven by amp) on the rear shelf and subwoofer (Driven by amp). The stock head unit didnt have rca outputs or remote turn on connection so I spliced into the two front speaker output connection wires directly behind the head unit and soldered on two RCA female sockets to it and hooked my rca leads to them. For remote turn on i spliced into the 12V switched accessory wire of the headunit. I think the Amp has speaker level inputs as the input voltage level can be adjusted on the amp (up to 8v)

My problem now is that the audio on the front speakers, the sub and the two extra speakers (wired to the amp) tends to break up at high volumes/frequencies. I have ordered a line output converter thinking that the problem might be caused by it. However the audio from the front speakers still breaks up after I plugged the RCA leads out of the amp (amp not drawing signal any more from speaker outputs) . The problem is at its worst if I change the balance setting on the head unit to have the audio come out of the right or left sides only.

My question is that will this problem be fixed if I install a Line output converter? Or else how could I fix it? Please understand that I am by no means an expert on the subject and this is my first install and wanted to try it myself. Any help will be much appreciated.

Return the convertor and get a real head unit, stock head units usually have dirty signals and junk sound quality. Pre out voltage from a head unit is most likely less than 1 volt. Just letting you know, 8 volt on the amp means thats thats where setting needs to be at if your input voltage is 8 volts. You dont have 8 volts, youll be lucky to get 1volt out of your current signal setup.

Fusion is also not a very good amp brand eithe, very low end. Actual power output is weak and could be dirty and you could be very well clipping the amp due to low pre out voltage which causes speakers to distort.

Either way, the head unit is the most important part of your system. You can have the best gear in the world and it will still sound like crap if you get your signal from a stock head unit.

Hi @Jeffdachef thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood me.. The stock head unit doesn't have pre amp level outputs so I tapped into the front speaker wires as input for the amp. I bought the amp, sub and speakers as second hand from a friend as I'm on a low budget. Therefore geting a new head unit is also not an option. Is there anything I can do to fix my current situation? Thanks for your help in advance

[quote name='ryan.rt94']Hi @Jeffdachef thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood me.. The stock head unit doesn't have pre amp level outputs so I tapped into the front speaker wires as input for the amp. I bought the amp, sub and speakers as second hand from a friend as I'm on a low budget. Therefore geting a new head unit is also not an option. Is there anything I can do to fix my current situation? Thanks for your help in advance[/QUOTE]

I understood you perfectly and the way you are getting your signal is a very dirty and weak/inefficient way to get signal. AKA the wrong way. You'll just have to save up and wait for a proper head unit. It'll fix up all your issues right now. Signal from a proper pre-amp source is 1000x better than an Line out convertor or a speaker level to RCA output. By the time you finish wasting money on all these cheap solutions you could have gotten a proper head unit and have everything working infinitely better. This is from experience bro the cheap way is never the way to go because it just costs more money in the long run.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.