Sound Deadening Help

big_a
10+ year member

Earth
I only have 20 sq feet of Damplifier Pro to put in a 01 Civic sedan. Will this only be enough for the trunk? Should I try to do the 2 front doors in a single layer and use the rest on the trunk? What is the best way to use it in that car? Thanks

you only need about 6 or sqft for a trunk lid, do you have a lot of vibrations or unwanted noises from your doors or a lot of road noise from your trunk?

depends on your goals.

if you like music, doors are more important. just put patches evenly spaced, shoot for 30-40% coverage of the outer door skin - 4"x4" squares.

seal the door holes with some aluminum sheet metal and self piercing screws. put 100% coverage on those aluminum sheets (on the inside).

the rest in the trunk. evenly distributed on lid, rear deck, and rear quarter panels.

two layers on the trunk lid is pointless if all you have is 20sf. you want to control "ringing" and resonance of the sheet metal everywhere.

Thanks. The doors are pretty noisy when Im driving. I cant really hear to much noise coming from the trunk. I will be using my stock front speakers and removing the rear speakers when I install my 12

Last edited by a moderator:
Start on the doors. The trunk lid will be a waste of Damplifier Pro without a subwoofer in the trunk. Your speakers will sound better, even the factory speakers, with deadener.

I only have 20 sq feet of Damplifier Pro to put in a 01 Civic sedan. Will this only be enough for the trunk? Should I try to do the 2 front doors in a single layer and use the rest on the trunk? What is the best way to use it in that car? Thanks
try to hit up the wheel wells with some deadener, you will thank yourself for it, i have an 03 civic coupe, i completely covered the wheel wells and under the rear seat with deadener and mass loaded vinyl and it helps a ton for road noise. you should probably look into investing a little into deadener if you want to get it done right too.

If you're not gonna be running rear speakers, why have deadener for them? It doesn't make sense to me, does it make sense to you?
Because the doors are loud as **** on the freeway since its a civic? Does it make sense to u now?

try to hit up the wheel wells with some deadener, you will thank yourself for it, i have an 03 civic coupe, i completely covered the wheel wells and under the rear seat with deadener and mass loaded vinyl and it helps a ton for road noise. you should probably look into investing a little into deadener if you want to get it done right too.
note that the MLV is what quieted road noise, not so much the deadener. but i do agree it is a good place to focus for road noise.

rear doors are also a good source for noise. and sure, 100% coverage will reduce road noise, but at a higher cost and not as effectively as MLV. deaden where you have speakers, use MLV everywhere you want to lower road noise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.