Some questions about Pioneer's AVIC F-series

Participant count
  • Participant list

trentp

I am pretty well sold on the AVIC F90BT, I am totally ready to get all the crap on my dash put into one unit. i have 3 different questions, though.

1. How does the GPS work? Is there a separate antenna that will need to be installed on the outside of the vehicle, or is it all inside the unit like my Garmin nuvi? If its an external antenna, I am assuming it is included in the unit and not an extra purchase?

2. I am very curious about the Sirius/ XM capability. I currently am using a Sirius Stiletto in my truck, and I have grown spoiled with the feature of being able to pause/ rewind/ record live radio (much like TiVO). Does this head unit have similar features? I understand the unit has internal flash memory, so Pioneer would be stupid not to include that feature, but I want to make sure as it would be a huge drawback for me if it didn't.

3. What is needed to make the Sirius work? I have a factory installed antenna integrated into the roof, (its the one with the green squarelike snap-on connector) is that gonna connect right into the back of this unit, or am i going to need an adapter of some kind?

Thank you so much if you have any answers for me.

I can answer the first question but not the other two since i have never used sirius/xm with it. This was my first gps indash unit but i have used a TomTom and a Garmin. I think that the GPS works very well overall. I would say it works about equally as well as the two portable units i have had expierence with. It does require a external antenna which is included with the unit. This antenna can be mounted inside or outside as long as it have a clear view of the sky.

if you are getting the F90BT, be prepared for alternator whine issues.

When installing, make sure to ground the RCA's on the back of the headunit (there is a tuturial on the forums somewhere), and if possible, make your own ground, not the stock ground.

gps reciever gets installed inside the car, in the instructions it tells you the best spot to put it for most cars..... about the xm thingo, we dont have that here in australia, so i couldn't help you with that one soz

I was wondering what that sound was, it was annoying the first day but now music is bumpin and I don't notice the whine anymore. Ill have to check out that thread on making my own ground

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.