So why dont 3 way components run an 8 in?

The Camry

Hey, I Try.
From what ive heard. If you want a proper stage that can keep the bass up front. You need an 8 in mid-bass driver.

All the high end 3 way component sets i see all have 6.5 in drivers. How come none of them run 8in ones?

i can see the argument that most car doors run 6.5 so it fits but most cars dont run a 3-4 midrange or have a spot so id expect manufactures to know your gonna be seriously modding something to get the midrange in.

idk...

From what ive heard. If you want a proper stage that can keep the bass up front. You need an 8 in mid-bass driver.
All the high end 3 way component sets i see all have 6.5 in drivers. How come none of them run 8in ones?

i can see the argument that most car doors run 6.5 so it fits but most cars dont run a 3-4 midrange or have a spot so id expect manufactures to know your gonna be seriously modding something to get the midrange in.

idk...
8 in speakers are considered subs.

They will most likely need a mono amp, but when you say 3 way do you mean coax or just a set of tweets and mids.

Also 8 in space becomes an issue.

8 in speakers are considered subs.They will most likely need a mono amp, but when you say 3 way do you mean coax or just a set of tweets and mids.

no..

a sub is a sub.

8" mid-bass is mid-bass.

dont need a mono for 8" mid-bass speaker.

im running 4- 8" mid woofers . you have to band pass them.

8 in speakers are considered subs.They will most likely need a mono amp, but when you say 3 way do you mean coax or just a set of tweets and mids.

midbass, midrange, and tweet.

How all does space become an issue?

no..a sub is a sub.

8" mid-bass is mid-bass.

dont need a mono for 8" mid-bass speaker.

im running 4- 8" mid woofers . you have to band pass them.
i get how to tune them all. Thats easy stuff. Im just curious if a high end 6.5 is really good enough midbass to bring the stage forward. Is there any really high SQ 8in drivers out there?

idk...
Probably not a large enough market to put together sets with 8" drivers in them. They are not considered subs. A mid is a mid and a sub is a sub, frequency response is different. You can have great results with a standard 2-way and 3-way front setup. 8" mid is still a mid and if you have a dedicated sub, that will still play the bass, which is separate from midbass. This is why mids that can play lower and handle more power are desirable - it's easier to blend them with the sub stage. A good 6.5" mid can do this. Blending is key.

sure, all you need is a good 6.5 .

you dont need an 8"

i went over board with my setup.

if i would have been thinking i would have done ..

tweeters

4" mid range

6.5 mid-bass

i get how to tune them all. Thats easy stuff. Im just curious if a high end 6.5 is really good enough midbass to bring the stage forward. Is there any really high SQ 8in drivers out there?
ZR800s. They take a ton of work to get right. I had to weld cross braces in the door to prevent them from tearing stuff up.

There are good mids that are strong in mid bass. They are not cheap.

Most that run large sub stages don't care about mid bass.

The XL mid is one of the best as long as you have a tweeter that can cover 2000 hz

And as said, blending is the key to up front bass. A nice roll off from sub to mid bass.

ZR800s. They take a ton of work to get right. I had to weld cross braces in the door to prevent them from tearing stuff up.
There are good mids that are strong in mid bass. They are not cheap.

Most that run large sub stages don't care about mid bass.

The XL mid is one of the best as long as you have a tweeter that can cover 2000 hz

And as said, blending is the key to up front bass. A nice roll off from sub to mid bass.
$230 a woofer.

i like........

I heard those in a top notch setup paired with scanspeak ring radiators and 6.5" revelators on the dash. Processing was done by the alpine dsp and I think the sub was under the glove in the front. Blended perfectly.

Worth noting, delaying the entire front stage a few ms with respect to the substage does wonders for bringing the bass forward.

The market is extremely small for 8" midbass drivers that aren't pro audio style. There are lots of vehicles that have factory 6x9s, and most of those vehicle owners are not interested in modifying the door to fit an 8". The mounting depth is often the #1 problem by far.

JL Audio ZR800-CW and Audison Prima AP8 are car audio company 8" a la carte midbass woofers. Illusion has a 2-way 8" system, but I don't see those woofers listed as a separate SKU. With a mounting depth of 3-3/8", the ZR800s won't fit a lot of vehicles that come with 6x9s.

Shallow mount 6x9s are a smart option.

There's few enough people who want 3 way fronts, much less who want 3 way fronts and can make room for 8" woofer in the doors. IMO if you're THAT serious about this you should be sourcing components separately anyway and using active crossover.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.