So many factors, NEED help.

jdubin94

Miami
What's up guys, so I had another thread about what the best SQL woofer is and it kind of went many different directions where you guys tried to "fix" my current setup. While I appreciate that, I have decided definitely, that I am upgrading my system in some way or another. But my problem is, due to my lack of experience/knowledge, I don't exactly know which route I should go; allow me to elaborate. I do not know if I should upgrade my box because I don't which woofer I should be getting

As previously mentioned, I currently have a ~1cuf sealed enclosure, with 2 10" RE S.E.X's. Now what I want to do is upgrade to single, higher quality, more expensive, woofer and ideally be able to feed it close to all 1100 watts. Using my current box, I could simply seal off one opening and throw a 10" in the other side. I was looking at the ICON's but they currently aren't available in 10". In fact there are many great series which I'm finding aren't available in 10's which is why I'm not overly enthusiastic about this route. And no, this box cannot be modified to fit a 12" - 10" is the max.

Option #2 , is getting a custom box made at a shop to better utilize what very little space is available in my trunk. My current box leaves a lot of gaps on the sides and on top. Depending on if I were to go fiberglass, which would pretty much grab every available square inch, or MDF with multiple cuts to create a complex shaped box, I should expect to see an increase in 0.5-1.0 cuf (need to go the shop to confirm), AND would now be able to use a 12" woofer. And instead of sealed, now using this extra airspace, I could MAYBE get away with a ported enclosure. The downside? This would cost me $400-$500...

So in a nutshell, my dilemma is - is buying an enclosure that allows me to go with a 12", and possibly even ported, as you guys all seem to love ported lol, worth the extra $$? On the contrary, what 10" subs can I feed ALL 1100 watts to and aren't for pure SPL? As mentioned previously I do definitely care about SQ.

I'm sure all of you are probably going to say something along the lines of "It's up for you to decide if it's worth it or not", and I get why you'd say that but I'm having a really tough time doing so, due to my lack of experience. I'm definitely not looking forward to going from 2 subs to 1, especially a 10" instead of a 12" , but if I had to guess, I'm sure I'd be content with the output from 1100 watts on a 10". But it's for this reason that I THINK I don't want a 10 that can really only handle 600-700 watts, in a sealed. Tbh part of the reason I'm considering getting this new enclosure is that I'm kind of OCD, and don't like the fact that there's some wasted airspace back there haha, but maybe that's silly.

Anyways I appreciate the help guys!

either way, you should get a custom box built specifically for whatever woofer you end up going with. as far as what woofer you should get, it really depends on what your goals are and what your price range is. everyone (short of a sheik) is trying to get the best return per dollar spent, and youre going to get drastically varying answers to the question of what woofer should i get on any forum. I mean, i could tell you to get a stereo integrity driver and have a $500 to $1000 (depends on how schnazzy you want it to look beyond $300 for a good box built to match the parameters of the sub and built to a high quality level with corner 45's and all)

Do us a proper and make a signature with your year and model of car, what your current gear is and so forth. itll alleviate repetitive questions from us when trying to help.

anywho, post up your budget, type of music you listen to, space requirements, so forth and so on. If not youll get anything from a EMF ermagerd sub with 2 10k taramps strapped in a 6th order bandpass down to a pioneer sub with a pioneer amp all from walmart in a subzero prefab box

just for laughs, this is an EMF ermagerd

EMF Audio Ermagerd v2 15" - EMF Car Audio formerly Sundown Only

either way, you should get a custom box built specifically for whatever woofer you end up going with. as far as what woofer you should get, it really depends on what your goals are and what your price range is. everyone (short of a sheik) is trying to get the best return per dollar spent, and youre going to get drastically varying answers to the question of what woofer should i get on any forum. I mean, i could tell you to get a stereo integrity driver and have a $500 to $1000 (depends on how schnazzy you want it to look beyond $300 for a good box built to match the parameters of the sub and built to a high quality level with corner 45's and all)
Do us a proper and make a signature with your year and model of car, what your current gear is and so forth. itll alleviate repetitive questions from us when trying to help.

anywho, post up your budget, type of music you listen to, space requirements, so forth and so on. If not youll get anything from a EMF ermagerd sub with 2 10k taramps strapped in a 6th order bandpass down to a pioneer sub with a pioneer amp all from walmart in a subzero prefab box

just for laughs, this is an EMF ermagerd

EMF Audio Ermagerd v2 15" - EMF Car Audio formerly Sundown Only
Thanks for the response. So, whenever I go to youtube to research a sub, I find that all of these videos I watch feature people with huge ported boxes, playing lyrically horrible, massively bass-oriented music. I'm not one of those people. While I do listen to hip-hop, albeit, what I consider well-balanced hip hop, I also listen to a lot of EDM. EDM not so much like dupstep which features extended bass notes like hop-hop, but more-so like techno, which features many quick repeated bass notes, where transient response, and accuracy of the sub is important to me. All & all, what I'm trying to get at is that yes- I do certainly want some good output. The only two setups I've had were dual 12's and 10's on 1000watts. Moving to a single will be a first for me. BUT, I'm certainly not an SPL freak who needs to shake the car. I'm finding that I strongly care about SQ.

And yes I know the IDEAL procedure, is to pick a sub and then make a custom box for it, but unfortunately, that's really not an option for me. As mentioned, I can either go with the box I currently have, and find a sub that'll work in it, or less ideally, make a new box, but even still, it will most likely not be that tailorable to a particular sub. In other words, the volume will be the volume..

Regarding budget, if it was determined that it was HIGHLY advised for me to get a new box for the new sub, I could probably make it work, as I'll be selling my current setup. Again, it's just a matter of if you guys think it would really beneficial for me.

So I guess at this point, can you guys rattle off subs that will fit these parameters and if decided this isn't the best route, then we can look at making a new box?

10"

Can take 1000 watts.

Will be fine in a 1cuf sealed enclosure (before displacement)

Sounds Clean

One that I was looking at was the DC Level 4. Has great reviews and fits the above, but do these just get loud?

Was also looking at the RE SXX, a step up from the S.E.X, though my budget actually allows for a bit more. In other words, I'm worried that it won't be a substantial enough upgrade And I specifically read a review on the DC Level 4 that said it outperformed their previous SXX.

I kind of ruled out the IDMax because even though it's rated at 1000 watts, ID tech support, said they really only recommend putting 700 watts on it. Not sure if yall would disagree.

IA flatline is only 600 watts too I think

So I guess at this point, can you guys rattle off subs that will fit these parameters and if decided this isn't the best route, then we can look at making a new box?
10"

Can take 1000 watts.

Will be fine in a 1cuf sealed enclosure (before displacement)

Sounds Clean

One that I was looking at was the DC Level 4. Has great reviews and fits the above, but do these just get loud?

Was also looking at the RE SXX, a step up from the S.E.X, though my budget actually allows for a bit more. In other words, I'm worried that it won't be a substantial enough upgrade And I specifically read a review on the DC Level 4 that said it outperformed their previous SXX.

I kind of ruled out the IDMax because even though it's rated at 1000 watts, ID tech support, said they really only recommend putting 700 watts on it. Not sure if yall would disagree.

IA flatline is only 600 watts too I think
A 700 watt sub, or even a 600 watt sub would be fine on an 1100 watt amp. It will create headroom, simply set the gain to provide that 600 or 700 watts. I ran a level 4 12 in the past, as I was pleased with the sound that it produced. There may be an improvement going from 2 tens in too small of an enclosure, to one 10 in the proper sized one, you actually may need to get another enclosure to ensure a positive outcome though.

and possibly even ported, as you guys all seem to love ported lol
The reason why people are recommending ported is because you had originally said you weren't getting much output/SQ in the lower end bass spectrum for your EDM music.
Ported is great for increasing lower end SQ, especially in your scenario where you don't have much power or much cone space

Since you own 2 10s I would take one and drop it in the proper enclosure..

I’ve been rockin a single 10w3v2 on only 350watts in 1.65ft^3’s @ 30hz and it slams so hard you wouldn’t believe..

Sell the other 10 or hold onto it for when you have a bigger vehicle..

Maybe you can use it in your basement.

Idk..

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.