What did she do?!?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

ThxOne
Premium Member

The Boss
So I got my 12" sub back that I let my wonderful sister borrow. She calls me at work last night and says "I think I blew your sub" I told her of course that I would look at it today. Now I wired this sub to 4 ohms... for safety reasons cause she is a girl and has no self control with the volume knob or bass knob and has NO CLUE what distortion sounds like and thinks the smell of a voice coil is pleasant.

So I pop her trunk and right away I smell the coil... then I see the dust cap... then I push the sub... For the record, it is my opinion that if one loans their sisters, girlfriends, wives... any kind of subwoofer set-up... make it so it can get so loud that they never want to turn it up all the way so that it never blows. She said the volume was on 12 out of whatever her pioneer goes up to. Yeah right.

Anyway... look at the dust cap... how hot was this **** thing to deform the dustcap!?!?!?

20180724_145553.jpg

Nice!... I got lucky, my ex apparently was wangin' away near full volume with a burp box playin "Behind Blue eyes" rebassed and slowed.

Next day she asked why it sounded different and the coils stunk... lol

2 cabs strapped at 1 ohm pushin' 2 Skar Evl's in a 46hz tuned frankenbox... I was lucky.

I never even explained what happened... I just took the keys away

So I got my 12" sub back that I let my wonderful sister borrow. She calls me at work last night and says "I think I blew your sub" I told her of course that I would look at it today. Now I wired this sub to 4 ohms... for safety reasons cause she is a girl and has no self control with the volume knob or bass knob and has NO CLUE what distortion sounds like and thinks the smell of a voice coil is pleasant.
So I pop her trunk and right away I smell the coil... then I see the dust cap... then I push the sub... For the record, it is my opinion that if one loans their sisters, girlfriends, wives... any kind of subwoofer set-up... make it so it can get so loud that they never want to turn it up all the way so that it never blows. She said the volume was on 12 out of whatever her pioneer goes up to. Yeah right.

Anyway... look at the dust cap... how hot was this **** thing to deform the dustcap!?!?!?

20180724_145553.jpg
HOLY POOP ON A STICK!!! does the woofer still play?

my pioneers have gone up to 40 for their max fwiw

20180724_145553.jpg
thats your biggest mistake right there. You wired to 4 ohms. Means the overall output is much lower, the overall satisfaction of the person is much lower and they are forced to crank it up which resulted in massive clipping. being wired to 4 ohms does not magically make the whole setup safer.

Vs having way more than enough output as in your sister would be uncomfortable as fk before she even reaches clipping.

The smart thing to do is to set the gains with every option maxed out on the head unit so she cant do sh*t other than turn the volume to the max which should still be below clipping with proper amp settings. Or better yet. unhook the system and give her a portable bluetooth speaker inside the car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.