Skar vs Rockford

just do a single 15, its the same size enclosure as two 12s and get about as loud. You wont have to spend that much on an amp either. One sub is cheaper than two subs. With that money saved, you can get a properly built custom box for actual performance.

just do a single 15, its the same size enclosure as two 12s and get about as loud. You wont have to spend that much on an amp either. One sub is cheaper than two subs. With that money saved, you can get a properly built custom box for actual performance.

This is sound advice.

Also you won't fine much Skar love around here and I don't feel the Rockford subs are really a good bang to buck ratio if you're trying to DIY and don't have an inside track to get them for cheap.

Either should perform well enough for what you're after though.

There does seem to be some Skar dislike around the forum. I have used the EVL series, I'd say its one of their top of the line subs but there are a couple other lines above them. I never had any issues with these and I abused the hell out of them with decent power. I have had issues with their amps but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.

There does seem to be some Skar dislike around the forum. I have used the EVL series, I'd say its one of their top of the line subs but there are a couple other lines above them. I never had any issues with these and I abused the hell out of them with decent power. I have had issues with their amps but for the money I don't think you can go wrong.
The hate is geared towards the owner and not really the products. The products are off the shelf China/Korea offerings that they order from a catalog. The owner scammed a lot of people and is not trustworthy. He may have changed but the damage here was done.

I also find it funny that he just copies what sundown does and tries his hardest to have his product look like sundown clones.

The hate is geared towards the owner and not really the products. The products are off the shelf China/Korea offerings that they order from a catalog. The owner scammed a lot of people and is not trustworthy. He may have changed but the damage here was done.

I also find it funny that he just copies what sundown does and tries his hardest to have his product look like sundown clones.
ive seen that, kinda the same structure but way cheaper pieces, ik the X series are rated at i think 1500 n jp said he could easily put 2500-3k on them no problem and with skar ive heard u cant put more than 1k extra or theyll burn out faster

which subs would sound better tho? shes not really going for anything too crazy just something that would sound good and sumwhat loud

Skar is not on the same level as Sundown. They just take Sundowns build house parts and throw them together to make a subwoofer. Sundown actually does all the R&D to make sure you are getting quality equipment. Kevin of Skar scammed a ton of people, doesn't know car audio, and lies about the TS specs of their speakers/subwoofers. All about the $ over actually loving car audio like Jacob from Sundown. Jacobs wife is more knowledgeable about car audio than Kevin. :whistle:

Go with a Dayton HO 15" use the saved money to get a well built to spec box and a good amp.

I mean look at this... Double stacked cooling rings on a 12 spoke basket that was designed for great cooling..

POS skar.jpg

I think the Dayton HO is a great recommendation. It won’t win SPL comps but it’ll sound great and can get loud when you want. I’m going to a dual 10 setup with the HO’s soon. They love small boxes so that helps me a ton

which subs would sound better tho? shes not really going for anything too crazy just something that would sound good and sumwhat loud
How much power do you plan to run? Precisely how much space do you want to sacrifice for a box? This is kind of a more important issue than which cookie-cutter Chinese made subs you pick.

And no, there's no magic pixie dust that makes Sundown X 3" 4 layer coil hold more than 1200W continuous power and I'm betting Jacob rates them honestly at right about that for power handling.

How much power do you plan to run? Precisely how much space do you want to sacrifice for a box? This is kind of a more important issue than which cookie-cutter Chinese made subs you pick.

And no, there's no magic pixie dust that makes Sundown X 3" 4 layer coil hold more than 1200W continuous power and I'm betting Jacob rates them honestly at right about that for power handling.
You’re wrong actually. Sundown orders their pixie dust straight from JL.

nothing crazy maybe a 3 cu foot box max tuned around 35 or 36 for musical purposes and i have a 1500w amp rn that will powee the subs

With that space Id just get a single 12 That can handle around 1,000 watts to match your amp. SSA Gcon, SSA Icon, Adire Audio Brahma,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.