Skar EVL 18 VS. SSA ICON

You'd think that on the 18 there would be a heavier coil/motor... do all manufacturers do this? I mean the 10's look to have the same motor as the 18's... It would seem that more cone= more mass and a stronger motor is needed... unless box size can compensate?

You'd think that on the 18 there would be a heavier coil/motor... do all manufacturers do this? I mean the 10's look to have the same motor as the 18's... It would seem that more cone= more mass and a stronger motor is needed... unless box size can compensate?
more mass affects efficiency however the cone area gained negates all that. You might get a lower FS which can help if you are doing a T line enclosure.

You are asking the right questions.. lol

Rear air velocity numbers requires knowledge of how much actual power you are getting. inputing in an 8000 watt amp will require more port area than 4000 watts however you dont know how much you are clamping and what kind of rise you are getting so you are just left to guestimate on the input power and the amount of port area you need to not have compression/noise. Port per cube numbers are mostly in line with rear air velocity from all the winisd data i've ran its a reliable enough rule of thumb to get you under 30 meters per second.
Its pretty typical to get 1.75x to 2.25x the rise. If you do this you will be close enough.. if you are getting anymore tn that aafter 4hz off tuning you simply have a shiity high reactive load and should isolate the inductors or build better speakers.. lol..

Jeff dont take it was me trying to correct you.

Im just telling you theory and from experience.

This is what i was referring to as far as the 15ks as well as this subject as well.

This different frequency prohibits our expression of power in an AC circuit using the same complex (rectangular or polar) notation as used for voltage, current, and impedance, because this form of mathematical symbolism implies unchanging phase relationships. When frequencies are not the same, phase relationships constantly change.

I did worry about that... the site says 24 in2 each but that 81 in2 for 2 sure looks like a hole in the box... http://i.imgur.com/BgrwbZT.jpg ... any bigger and I was told it would be peaky... I'd love to learn to use winisd... I tried to download it tonight and the program I got wouldn't let me exit!! Maybe I'll keep trying to learn torres and one day I'll get it! I am still trying to learn...
What size box width, and height?

Kenwood X301& Sundown E-15 v3 5.8 CF Ported @34hz on PPI ICE2600

I did worry about that... the site says 24 in2 each but that 81 in2 for 2 sure looks like a hole in the box... http://i.imgur.com/BgrwbZT.jpg ... any bigger and I was told it would be peaky... I'd love to learn to use winisd... I tried to download it tonight and the program I got wouldn't let me exit!! Maybe I'll keep trying to learn torres and one day I'll get it! I am still trying to learn...
This is the amount of space I'm working with do you think I can put a 13 cf box back there anyone?
ce64ffcf6df39d6a85b50d920ab29141.jpg

This is the amount of space I'm working with do you think I can put a 13 cf box back there anyone?
ce64ffcf6df39d6a85b50d920ab29141.jpg

It looks feasible with about 12ft3 and that will leave 3ft3 for port displacement. I'm just using the open area measurements... LOL!.. I'm not going to get into using all the nooks and crannies or above the wheelwells but I'm sure it can be done. Man... I've done similar boxes before but halfway through I wished I'd just paid someone else to do it!..LOL!.. of course that would be port/subs up at 12ft3 net. That's at the window line maybe an inch above it.

Fits but it will be above the windowline. If you can build around the wheel wells, you'll get more airspace and will be able to keep under the window line.

pKdcoZ.jpg

Do you think I can fit 2 18s and also keep the box below seats or would I have to bring it above seats. This is current box it's 5.8cf

It looks feasible with about 12ft3 and that will leave 3ft3 for port displacement. I'm just using the open area measurements... LOL!.. I'm not going to get into using all the nooks and crannies or above the wheelwells but I'm sure it can be done. Man... I've done similar boxes before but halfway through I wished I'd just paid someone else to do it!..LOL!
b7bfb145356aad95eb509a2828772bb1.jpg

Fits but it will be above the windowline. If you can build around the wheel wells, you'll get more airspace and will be able to keep under the window line.
pKdcoZ.jpg
That adequate for 2 18s correct ? And I'm getting it built tbh by a bodybuilder and u recommend building on top of the wheelwell?

That adequate for 2 18s correct ? And I'm getting it built tbh by a bodybuilder and u recommend building on top of the wheelwell?
actually what sub are you going with? Letting you know that the skar evl 18s work better in sealed or 4th order bandpass enclosures. In order for the skar to really shine it needs 8 to 10 cubic feet per 18 once i ran up the specs and modeled it out. That box design down below fits an Icon more.

Do you think I can fit 2 18s and also keep the box below seats or would I have to bring it above seats. This is current box it's 5.8cf
b7bfb145356aad95eb509a2828772bb1.jpg

At this point I am stepping back... I don't use the same program as others... I use this... Port Length Calculator ... I know a 12 ft3 will fit... but if your looking for exact numbers let someone with better software help. At 12ft3... yes, it should be at seat height.

actually what sub are you going with? Letting you know that the skar evl 18s work better in sealed or 4th order bandpass enclosures. In order for the skar to really shine it needs 8 to 10 cubic feet per 18 once i ran up the specs and modeled it out. That box design down below fits an Icon more.
I was thinking the skar evl 18 because of the price fits my range and i don't have to wait 4 months to receive them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.