Skar EVL 18 VS. SSA ICON

I am running my 12's in an oversize 5 ft3 net enclosure with under 2500 watts with no problems.The manufacturer spec is 4 ft3 net and this sounded pretty good... IDK what will happen at higher power levels... These aren't SA ZV5's by any means... but they go pretty low easily, mine plays to 24 hz pretty strong with a pair of 12's the 18's should really dig deep...

The qts of .85 is pretty high, basically IB territory. But often, a large enclosure will allow from prominent low end with high qts values. Its weird that skar suggests so small.

The qts of .85 is pretty high, basically IB territory. But often, a large enclosure will allow from prominent low end with high qts values. Its weird that skar suggests so small.
IDK why they do it either but increasing the size in my application seems to increase efficiency and sensitivity overall. I'm noticeably louder and no bottoming or other issues are present.

Vas and qes and qms are the more important figures.

A high qes driver with a high qms and low vas will do fine on the smaller side.

Out of the woofers ive tested none match published parameters. Lol

IDK why they do it either but increasing the size in my application seems to increase efficiency and sensitivity overall. I'm noticeably louder and no bottoming or other issues are present.
very rarely do i see subs bottoming out because of airspace. They bottom out more because of excessive amounts of port area.

I have no idea why they would recommend 4.5.

Thats simply a misprint. Id only use that box tuned to 50 and for 10k burps. Lol

It has alot of mms qms is still abit over damped but its not a burp driver esp with that super weak motor. Ill bet it actually will sound good in 7 tuned to 35.

very rarely do i see subs bottoming out because of airspace. They bottom out more because of excessive amounts of port area.
Larger the box the lower you tune to increase mechanical control over bandwidth. Same for port area.

Speaking of that what is are your tunings?

Larger the box the lower you tune to increase mechanical control over bandwidth. Same for port area.Speaking of that what is are your tunings?
I'm talking about the same tuning frequency for both. Larger box at 30hz vs smaller box at 30hz I dont see a difference mechanical limits. However 20 port per cube tuned to 30hz vs 14 port per cube at 30hz the 20 port per cube would bottom out hard.

25hz rear chamber 50hz front. I die out right after 25hz but can play up to 80hz easy.

I did worry about that... the site says 24 in2 each but that 81 in2 for 2 sure looks like a hole in the box... http://i.imgur.com/BgrwbZT.jpg ... any bigger and I was told it would be peaky... I'd love to learn to use winisd... I tried to download it tonight and the program I got wouldn't let me exit!! Maybe I'll keep trying to learn torres and one day I'll get it! I am still trying to learn...

I did worry about that... the site says 24 in2 each but that 81 in2 for 2 sure looks like a hole in the box... http://i.imgur.com/BgrwbZT.jpg ... any bigger and I was told it would be peaky... I'd love to learn to use winisd... I tried to download it tonight and the program I got wouldn't let me exit!! Maybe I'll keep trying to learn torres and one day I'll get it! I am still trying to learn...
control alt delete and then select winisd and end task.

I'm talking about the same tuning frequency for both. Larger box at 30hz vs smaller box at 30hz I dont see a difference mechanical limits. However 20 port per cube tuned to 30hz vs 14 port per cube at 30hz the 20 port per cube would bottom out hard.

25hz rear chamber 50hz front. I die out right after 25hz but can play up to 80hz easy.
There is a fine line in the impedance, reactance and damping of the port and its acoustical realationship with the box and driver...

The port is an acoustic passive radator

This is why i suggest you stick to vent match vs port per cube.

In short lower qms and higher vas and higher qes drivers aren't nearly as picky..

Too much port area is like have too soft a spider pack. It laymans terms

There is a fine line in the impedance reactiance and damping of the port and its acoustical realationship with the box and driver...The port is an acoustic passive radator

This is why i suggest you stick to vent match vs port per cube.

In short lower qms and higher vas and higher qes drivers aren't nearly as picky..

Too much port area is lime have too soft a spider pack
Rear air velocity numbers requires knowledge of how much actual power you are getting. inputing in an 8000 watt amp will require more port area than 4000 watts however you dont know how much you are clamping and what kind of rise you are getting so you are just left to guestimate on the input power and the amount of port area you need to not have compression/noise. Port per cube numbers are mostly in line with rear air velocity from all the winisd data i've ran its a reliable enough rule of thumb to get you under 30 meters per second.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.