Single 12" in ext cab s-10

Based on the sub pic, the coils are wired in series. Are they dual 2 ohm? How did you test the sub? Are you sure you bridged the correct terminals? Does it get louder if only one RCA is plugged in?

did you adjust sub level control on the HU? Sub level is just sub attenuation on Alpine decks, so full 15 level is fine.

Yes it is ok to run remote with RCA's. No noise with DC voltage.

I used aluminum foil tape to hold wires down. Comes in rolls like duct tape. Any hardware store will carry it. Sticks very well yet. Normally used for duct work. I love it.

Based on the sub pic, the coils are wired in series. Are they dual 2 ohm?
Yes they are

How did you test the sub?
For the ohm load? I haven't yet, ran out of time.

Are you sure you bridged the correct terminals?
Pretty sure, I double/quadruple checked it. The bigger amp I changed to is just a 2 channel, and it can not be bridged. I mostly put the bigger amp in because I was worried about the heat the little one was producing. I need to get a battery for my temp gun.

Does it get louder if only one RCA is plugged in?
You mean only the red or only the white rca plug? Didn't try that.

did you adjust sub level control on the HU? Sub level is just sub attenuation on Alpine decks, so full 15 level is fine.
We did after setting gains, I set the gains at 0 because I thought that was the way to do it.

Cool thanks, that's what I was thinking but I have been out of this so long it's hard to remember what I used to know.

I used aluminum foil tape to hold wires down. Comes in rolls like duct tape. Any hardware store will carry it. Sticks very well yet. Normally used for duct work. I love it.
I know what you are talking about, do you tape the entire length down or just every few inches?

I have read your entire build log 2 or 3 times already, looks like I need to check it out again.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Eh, I've seen better than kha. He just makes it up as he goes. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
The secret is to act like you know what you are doing. And carry a clipboard, no one questions you if you have a clipboard.

The secret is to act like you know what you are doing. And carry a clipboard, no one questions you if you have a clipboard.
and a tie. wear a tie.

i just tape every few inches. whatever is needed based on routing. you'll see i use it on top of my split loom excessively.

accordtrunk_IBwall016.jpg

Ya he has no sound deadening yet, doesn't even have a headliner. There is a lot of bare metal showing in his cab, he wants to replace the rubber floor mat with carpet, get a headliner and do some sound deadening with his summer job money.

I drove his truck to work today, listened to eminem, the eminem show. Sounded pretty good, about 20 on the volume it started to not sound real good, had the subwoofer on +13, but below that sounded good. It isn't real loud but not bad at all, I closed my eyes and couldn't really pinpoint were the sound was coming from, those q-forms must be decent enough. I'm sure someone with a real sq system or spl wouldn't be real impressed, but not bad considering.

Based on the sub pic, the coils are wired in series. Are they dual 2 ohm? How did you test the sub? Are you sure you bridged the correct terminals? Does it get louder if only one RCA is plugged in?

I thought all electrical in vehicles was DC? and DC makes noise when you have enough flow right?

I talked with a home audio guy he told me that AC will make interference also noise and fuzzy video.

AC is at 60Hz and a higher voltage (120 and up) and also contains a ton of other higher frequency noise with it. home A/C wiring is basically large antennas. AC wiring can induce noise into low level audio cables, so in home and pro audio we take care to route cabling.

in a car, with DC voltage, the EMF is not only much lower due to lower voltage, but the field produced isn't rapidly changing. cars are less noisy than homes. you won't get noise on the RCA's when routing next to power wire. in the past, people have attributed noise from ground loops to RCA noise.

there may be some AC component to DC current from the amplifier demand varying with music. i still take care to route RCA's away from power wire not for noise, but for general organization. MECA and IASCA rules still say to do so. a remote turn-on has a constant current and DC voltage, it will not generate noise in RCA's. some RCA cables included a wire that could be used as a remote turn-on.

sorry but I've seen and fixed noise problems from power and rca's ran next to each other.the only thing that was changed was the route of the rca's and the noise went away.

Some assembly required. I want to thank @CAT MAN; and @Flex68; @RAM_Designs; for the help. The box is 14" x 14" x 48" with a 12" x 4" x 38" port. I used profuse amounts of liquid nails and 1 5/8 brads to assemble the box.

0729121656.jpg

The guy who cut the wood for me asked "what you building?" I said "a sub box for my boy's truck." He asked "what you putting in?" I said "Just one 12" eclipse." He then asked "titanium?" I was like whoa this guy knows at least a little something? He used to work in a stereo shop, he did a pretty nice job cutting my wood.

My boys first time using a jigsaw. And for all you pot smoking hippies, he is wearing a D.A.R.E shirt : )

0729121711.jpg

Not to bad of a job, little jagged but not bad.

0729121716.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Second one was much better.

0729121733.jpg

Oh why a second one you ask? The first was to big for some reason, we traced the original box cutout. I think he just went to far on the outside of the line.

Here it is as far as I can get tonite. Since we had to cut a second subwoofer cutout we don't have a back piece anymore. Luckily had a piece left over just need to rip it down to the right width.

0729121833.jpg

A little weight till the glue dries.

0729121911.jpg

I did make a few mistakes, I put a nail in to close to an edge and split the wood a little, and a couple of the nails came through on the inside of the box. Nothing that should matter at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
put some screws in it. if anything put some in the port board top and bottom because the sub will be loading off of it and it will come loose.also next time use good ol woodglue instead of liquidnails. cant remember who but they tested it along with screws and braids.

I'm going to brace the port wall in a couple of places. Any time I have used the liquid nails, when I tried to break it apart it broke the wood and the glue joint was still together.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.