Finished install 2012 F-150 Raptor

SVTraptor
10+ year member

Hey guys. I finally got my amp kit in and all of my equipment. I was originally going to go with a 10" shallow mount Type-R, but after getting backorder notices from 2 websites I figured I could save some money and went with a Sundown SD-2 10" 2ohm dvc.

The amp was a budget buy. I got the thing new for $50. I may or may not upgrade in the future I haven't decided. Anyways, it's a SOUNDSTORM 1F850 that runs 500wrms at 4ohms.

This was my first instal in over 7 years. I was skeptical about the quality I could do, but I took my time and am glad I saved the money and it all looks beautifully hidden(except by the amp which I didn't care).

Now, the sound. Well my box is .48 cu. ft. After displacement it's around .4 cu. ft. It does not sound the best, it doesn't get too loud. I turn the gain up 1/4 of the way and I start to hear muffling coming from the box. I believe this is due to the size of the box. It is well constructed and the amp should be generating the exact power (500wrms) as the sub needs.

Anyways here are the pics of what I have. I believe I'm going to be doing a ported box in a week or two.

vuHCy.jpg

qfsXr.jpg

ubdj4.jpg

GlmRO.jpg

gZNdf.jpg

384Gk.jpg

5Euva.jpg

yeah that amp isn't giving it close to what it needs. Also, looks like the cone might be slamming the bottom of the seat at full excursion. Lastly, I would think it needs a little more air space. I would get a Class D amp rated at 1ohm for something like this.

---------- Post added at 05:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

^^^He's saying that the amp is too weak to actually give it 500 watts as it says it will.

Care to elaborate? And like I said, I bought this pretty much as a bridge towards a quality amp.
Ssl just isn't a quality amp. I have had experience with them back when I was 15 and just learning. The one I had was a 4 channel amp that I actually gave away cause it sounded like hell. And didn't put out near the power I needed

You have a $45k vehicle and this is what you put in it? Spend a little more money and build a quality box for up under your seat, a new amp, and wrap that box in vinyl or carpet plz.... this can all be done for about $200 more

Edit: Nice truck, but you should have got a Chevy

You have a $45k vehicle and this is what you put in it? Spend a little more money and build a quality box for up under your seat, a new amp, and wrap that box in vinyl or carpet plz.... this can all be done for about $200 more

Edit: Nice truck, but you should have got a Chevy

I know right. I did skimp out on the amp which I regret. I'm looking into a new one already. As for the box I did not carpet it right away because I did not know if I would be satisfied with a sealed box(which I'm not). The ported one I build in the future will be carpeted once I am sure I like it.

I'm all for the DIY approach, but I got to agree with btdickey99. That truck deserves something nice. I also agree that there is not enough room for that sub, might account for the muffled sound. You could bust out the fiberglass to maximize airspace and build a ported box that goes over the hump, then use the other side to mount your upgraded amp.

-My 2 cents

welcome back to car audio builds.....

you do have a good start

i like seeing people build their boxes and learn rather than wasting money on prefab ...

the ported box that you will be building will sound better

personally i would use the entire width of the truck under the seats but slightly lower than your sealed box so that you can mount your amp

One thing you could try would be to flip box over with and put spacers on the bottom, so that it downfires. I drive a truck and i can tell you that downfiring sounds much better. Be sure to deaden under the sub box at the very least.

welcome back to car audio builds.....you do have a good start

i like seeing people build their boxes and learn rather than wasting money on prefab ...

the ported box that you will be building will sound better

personally i would use the entire width of the truck under the seats but slightly lower than your sealed box so that you can mount your amp
I just can't come down to purchase prefab. The prices on them are ridiculous. Plus, I used to work at a cabinet shop which I still have access to. I am not new to building boxes. It's just been about 6-7 years but I have about 60 boxes under my belt. I've sold a few on here wayyyyyy back when.

I really didn't know what I wanted or if I would even want a ton of bass in my truck. That is the reason I didn't go all out. But now that I have something small I WANT MORE. I sent off for some designs on a ported box. I'm going downfire and it will most probably take the whole width under the seat which I am fine with now (I wasn't when I started my build).

it takes experimentation to find what you like. being able to build boxes is a nice skill. certainly, ensure you have at least an inch clear from the top of the surround to the bottom of the seat. you don't want that rubbing.

carpeting/vinyl can come after you've found the right combination of orientation and airspace. downfiring requires a very shallow sub. is the rear magnet vented? if so, you need some space from the magnet to the rear wall or the coil can overheat (though not on that amp).

an amp rated 1kW @1 ohm can be had for a couple hundred. Powerbass ASA 1000.1dx is a budget friendly option that can make rated power - more than you'll need. Sundown has a nice selection of amps as well.

it takes experimentation to find what you like. being able to build boxes is a nice skill. certainly, ensure you have at least an inch clear from the top of the surround to the bottom of the seat. you don't want that rubbing.
carpeting/vinyl can come after you've found the right combination of orientation and airspace. downfiring requires a very shallow sub. is the rear magnet vented? if so, you need some space from the magnet to the rear wall or the coil can overheat (though not on that amp).

an amp rated 1kW @1 ohm can be had for a couple hundred. Powerbass ASA 1000.1dx is a budget friendly option that can make rated power - more than you'll need. Sundown has a nice selection of amps as well.
Thanks for the advice. There is no vent in the magnet. Also, I'm looking at either the PB amp or an AQ750 which will do 1000 @1ohm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

SVTraptor

10+ year member
SVTraptor
Southern IL
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from