Should i go for a ported box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

kizzo
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
All over
So i have 2 DA D6 12's wired to 1ohm and getting 600w rms. I listen to all types of music but the face that i have a system encourages me to listed to rap. I can't really explain the sound i'm going for but i can try. Think of something like song #6 on the chamilionair sound of revenge cd, where the bass kinda skips around. It sounds like my subs (which are currently in a 1.3cu ft x2 sealed box) are like trying to replicate the sound to well and too tight. So im thinking getting a ported box is what i need so the bass will be layed over the previous bass note, not the punchy, i'm trying to sound accurate sealed box sound. Any suggestions?

your post kinda confused me but from my experience the average ported box is much "boomier" than a sealed, deffinately not as tight sounding. that's the best answer i can come up with judging by your post.

im looking for a deeper sound that wont sound distorted when a lot of punchy bass notes are played one after the other.

I have never had a problem with subs in a sealed box sounding distorted unless they were just overpowered. but maybe someone else has an idea as to what could fix this.

My bad, I just read that they are each in 1.3.

Something you can do as a quick experiment is to put about 1/2 cubic foot worth of wood in each enclosure. See if that helps. If it does not do what you are wanting, go ported. The guy above has been listening to some garbage if he says that they don't sound as good. The standard vented box out there is going to be a little less than spectacular in the SQ department. To combat that comment that "ported" boxes sound worse-----there is a reason why MANY high end home audio subwoofer systems are ported. Nobody accuses them of being less accurate. A very fine subwoofer in a well designed vented enclosure will be as accurate as you'd be able to distinguish by ear. Most cheap subs don't do very well in a ported box, just to let you know.

The reason why most go ported in the vehicle is because they are extreme bass heads. Since a single 8" subwoofer will do every bit of what an accurate level of sub bass is meant to sound like. That useless bit of info aside....... I like the ability for a system to wake the forefathers of the long since deceased...but also turned down, I want it to be able to track well and not sound like wet @ss. For a 12" to be more accurate and still do some damage in the pressure area, go with a single chamber 3.5 cubic feet net volume enclosure with a single vent of 50 square inches x 24" in length. That will get off fairly well and also play the low notes. And it won't require half of the gain knob that you currently have them set on to get the same output.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.