Should Apple ipod cable work with Pioneer 4300DVD??

Participant count
  • Participant list

wmflyfisher
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok, I installed a 4300DVD last week and tried to use the regular Apple ipod (white) cable with the unit. Works fine with Pandora and my iphone. Shows the album artwork and all on the screen.

When I plug the cable into my 4th gen ipod 20GB and switch to USB mode I get an "unplayable file" error on the screen. I restored the ipod and it worked fine with my Alpine setup a month ago.

Gave Pioneer a call and the rep told me that I would have to purchase the Pioneer Ipod cable. Supposedly it has an extra cable (3.5mm) jack that will allow it to work.

How will the regular ipod cable work with my iphone and not with my ipod??

Anybody else run into this? I just don't want to waste $20 if it's another issue. I'm not interested in playing video from my ipod, just music.

Ok, I installed a 4300DVD last week and tried to use the regular Apple ipod (white) cable with the unit. Works fine with Pandora and my iphone. Shows the album artwork and all on the screen.
When I plug the cable into my 4th gen ipod 20GB and switch to USB mode I get an "unplayable file" error on the screen. I restored the ipod and it worked fine with my Alpine setup a month ago.

Gave Pioneer a call and the rep told me that I would have to purchase the Pioneer Ipod cable. Supposedly it has an extra cable (3.5mm) jack that will allow it to work.

How will the regular ipod cable work with my iphone and not with my ipod??

Anybody else run into this? I just don't want to waste $20 if it's another issue. I'm not interested in playing video from my ipod, just music.

Pioneer is REALLY touchy with their firmware compatibility with the ipods and I believe right now current models are NOT liking the current firmware for the iphone 4's. Chances are you're going to have to wait for an update for you iphone 4 which makes it more compatible (wont happen.) use and aux cord like you mentioned or just get a different Pioneer that's compatible. IT's a ***** but my Pioneer does it too with curtain ipods :-/ That's why I had to downgrade and use my 2nd gen original touch because that firmware is compatible iphone 4's don't work on my headunit it just says 'format read'

Also note your pioneer most likely has something called SLA (Source Level Adjustment) and it's to adjust different sources to the same volume levels preset. So if the AUX seems quiet if that's indeed what it's or the USB compared to CD just increase the SLA.

Thanks Jbinn but the unit WILL work with my iphone 4 and NOT with my 4th gen ipod which is older.
Oh I read that wrong still like I said guarantee it's a firmware issue I bet google will return some searches if you type: "Pioneer headunit 4th gen blah blah."

Straight from Pioneer's website

"Either "Made for iPod" or "Works with iPhone" means that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPod or iPhone and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Operations and functions may vary depending on iPod models or headunits. USB iPod Control is compatible with iPod® (5th generation or later/Firmware Version 1.2 or later/iPod nano Version 1.2 or later). A 3rd or 4th generation iPod® requires CD-IB100II. iPod and iPhone are registered trademarks of Apple Inc."

Looks like you'll need to buy the cable OR do some further research and find out what makes the cable different from a cable like this (this is the one i have). Cost me less then $4

3-in-1 USB 3.5mm AUX Audio/Data/Charger Cable for iPod/iPhone 2G/3G/3GS - Black (1.2M) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

It also works on the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s. For $4 i would just buy that cable and see if it works, if not then you still have yourself a nice line out iPod cable that you can just plug into the aux port of your headunit. Finding a WORKING line out cable to aux is not cheap in the states.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.