setting up delay

Participant count
  • Participant list

raverx3m
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
new york
heres the situation

i have a 4 channel kenwood with the eq and delay settings on it running front and rear speakers

and another amp running a sub

the car is a 2 door integra

speakers in doors and rears in q pannel

sub is in a regular prefab box facing back.

according to some articles sound will travel 1.13 feet every millisecond.

is that correct info?

what im trying to do is bring the bass focus to the front.

i dont want to adjust the left and right seat delay since i like my passengers to listen to music also.

but i do like for bass and midbass to be sharp and not lagging or cancelling out coming from 3 differen sources.

so i want to make it sound like its coming from 2 front speakers.

the sub beeing the furthest does not need a delay so i leave it at that.

where do i measure the distance from the sub if its facing back?

do i start ad the back wall/ center of the trunk or the sub itsself?

then rear speakers would need about 3 ms delay and front 6ms delay ?

to answer your 1st question.......yes sound travels 1.13 feet every millisecond. You would measure from the sub itself. To get "upfront bass" 1 thing to do is to set up your front stage until your satisfied, and then "blend" in the substage.Sometimes depending on your front stage a low x-over setting on your substage helps. Another thing that helps is to eliminate"localization cues", (panel vibrations,floor vibrations,enclosure vibrations ) etc. As far as the rear speakers I dont use them and would'nt use them, But if you are using them, genarally speaking,you dont want them to audible from the front seat , At LEAST a 3db attenuation. which is a doubling of distance...so if your delaying your front speakers 6ms delay the rear AT LEAST 12ms. So you dont pull the focus to the rear.

im actually done with my front stage it sounds great with just front speakers.

but then i add the sb and rears and its not so good anymore.

i added 7' midbass drivers to front and rear.same exact drivers.

but the problem with rear speakers in an integra is they are barely hanging there.

no frame to support them at all.

i had to build an mdf plate for them tring to reinforce it . a lil better but still craps out easily.

btw i am running speakers at full range

and rear midbass at 1k lowpass, they are there just for kik and bum bum supposedly. but i gotta think to add another bracket to make them stop moving.

the sub is there only when i want to crank it up. 90% of the time its turned off.

so when i do want to blast it i just put the crossovers on the front and rear and turn the sub up...

f ---------- r-------s

6ms -------12ms----0ms

im a lil confused on the delay part

how would that be if the rear speakers are in the middle

the sub is the furthest so it needs no delay

then go the rear speakers that are 2 ft away from the sub

and then front that are about 5-6 ft away from the sub

wouldnt the fronts need to be delayed most since im timing everything from the sub?

What exactly is your complete setup and what do you do with the crossovers when you turn the sub on. I see absolutely no reason if these are properly installed as part of some sort of component system that you do not have a firm, solid up front bass sensation with a 7 inch mid. It's not that hard and you don't need time delay to do it. In fact you should really look at your crossovers front and rear and attenuate the signal to the rear before you even consider time delay.

High pass those 7 inchers somewhere between 50 and 70 HZ, as low as you can where they still play clean. If they're worthwhile you should be able to at least get 60 HZ out of them. They should be there specifically to solve this problem, to be bandpassed in the area where most midbass/midrange drivers start to struggle and move your sub completely out of the frequency range where bass becomes directional. Low pass the sub around the same spot as you high pass the mids.

I think you may also want to reconsider the 1000HZ lowpass on the rears. Attenuate them too. If they're poorly installed and you're getting crappy sound from them, obvious distortion from the rear could be taking away from your front stage.

Although if it were me I'd sell them. Very unnecessary in your application for what you're trying to achieve.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.