Setting the gain correctly

>>SQL<<
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
USA
With my JL Audio amps setting the gain with a DMM is easy as Jl tells you exectly what voltage to set it at.

SO with my new RF amp I downloaded the manual and here are the instructions for setting the gain.

ADJUSTING GAIN

To adjust the gain setting, turn the amplifier gains all the way down (counter-clockwise).Turn the source unit

volume up until distortion is audible and then turn it down a bit until the distortion is inaudible.This will be

about all the way up on most source units. Next, increase the amplifier gain setting until adequate volume is

achieved. Rockford Fosgate source units do not distort, so the volume can be used at maximum setting.

NOTE:Best signal to noise and dynamic range are realized with the gain at minimum. Most users find

adequate gain and volume is achieved at about halfway in the adjustment range.

ok - not real helpful at all.

Amp is a RF T10001BD

Birthsheet is around 1,500 watts

I am running my subs at 1 ohm

What should I do?

to simplify, should I set the gain using the DMM to 1,000 watts (its rated output) or 1,500 watts (its Birthsheet) or somewhere in the middle?

What subs r you running? If the subs will handle it run it a little lower than whats on the birthsheet although you should b good to rated power.
12" Skar VVX's

They are rated at 600 RMS but everyone says they handle much more power.

101_3685.jpg

What of your amp is making the ac voltage before your hu is at the voltage set on the amp?

Ex:

Amp goes to 4v

Hu goes to 5v (supposed unclipped at full volume, benched and at full does 5.5 with my dmm)

Put amp on full 4v and the hu says its putting out 3.2v but the dmm reads that the amp is making full power.

Sqroot (90x4) = 18.9

So simple form amp (set on full 4v) is doing 19.4 at 3.4v from hu.

Is that set alright or should I set the hu lower and match the amp lower to like 3v?

Eclipse avn 726e

Arc audio ks 300.4

What of your amp is making the ac voltage before your hu is at the voltage set on the amp?
Ex:

Amp goes to 4v

Hu goes to 5v (supposed unclipped at full volume, benched and at full does 5.5 with my dmm)

Put amp on full 4v and the hu says its putting out 3.2v but the dmm reads that the amp is making full power.

Sqroot (90x4) = 18.9

So simple form amp (set on full 4v) is doing 19.4 at 3.4v from hu.

Is that set alright or should I set the hu lower and match the amp lower to like 3v?

Eclipse avn 726e

Arc audio ks 300.4
Anybody? Thoughts or explanation why it's like that?

Youll need some upgrades to run 1500 ie ho alt,wiring.
no need to upgrade ho alt for 1500w bro maybe wire and thats maybe.

i been running 5000w at .5 ohms on the amp with stock alt and 2 batteries with no issue for a while, so if you know what your doing your good.

anyways op why nor invest i a DD-1 is super fast and easy plus you will set gains like a pro.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

>>SQL<<

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
>>SQL<<
USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date