setting the crossover?

Participant count
  • Participant list

bradl79
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NLR
should i use the crossover cutoff using my amp or head unit, amp does not really specify what i am setting the xover at, but with the head unit it will let tell me, i have a Clarion NX702 and i have it set at 3-way, allowing me to set Mids/Highs/Sub xover either through HU or amp. what is best to use or does it even matter?

Are you wanting to run a 3-way active setup? This requires an amp directly to tweeters, and amp directly to mids, and an amp directly to subs. All crossover points are done at the HU, (pre-amp) and your amplifiers are given a processed signal that is already crossed-over according to the speaker.

Otherwise, you'll want Front/Rear/Sub.

It is only important if you're doing 3-way really. I prefer to use the HU xover if it allows you to actually adjust slopes and frequencies, as you said most amps you don't get an exact point. So I'll set my amp to full range, and xover at the HU. If not, your xover points will be additive, making you rolloff at frequencies where both the HU and Amp xover are in effect, sharper.

should i use the crossover cutoff using my amp or head unit, amp does not really specify what i am setting the xover at, but with the head unit it will let tell me, i have a Clarion NX702 and i have it set at 3-way, allowing me to set Mids/Highs/Sub xover either through HU or amp. what is best to use or does it even matter?
Are you actually wired for active 3-way? i.e. separate amp channel for each component (bass, mid-bass, tweet) with no passive xovers? You can't use HU in 3-way mode unless you are wired with separate active amp channel to each speaker.

No I have a passive crossover for my comps
OK, you can't use your HU to set xover points for your comps then, the passive xover is fixed.

Let's keep all this in one thread - you have another thread about left/right level problems. I think you have your system wired wrong. Describe how the HU is connected to your amps and how the amps are connected to the speakers (anything bridged?, etc.) Use the other discussion for this until we sort it out.

Is that head unit active capable?

All i saw was hpf and lpf. Nothing about band pass filters or active crossovers.

But, if you are clever you can actually use your head unit, amp, and passive crossovers together to essentially set up for an active system.

i am pretty sure i have wired everything correctly, i went from the HU and made sure the RCA jacks meet whats on the AMP for L/R Channels and the speaker wire is connected correctly to each speaker and channel, as for the xovers, i was just wondering b/c the HU does let me set the xover cut off, so i was wondering if i could just use that instead of my amp. since my amp u have to guess what u are setting it at and the HU actually tells you what you are setting it at

OK, I see. You must be using sub for low channel, rears for mid-bass, and front components for "highs" and running HU in 3way xover mode. Just disable xovers on amp (or set to "flat") and use HU for xover settings. That should work fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.