setting impedance...

Participant count
  • Participant list
I was looking at the specifications of amps like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Profile-California-AP1000M-Mono-Amp-Low_W0QQitemZ9735711809QQihZ008QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and they only have one positive and one negative speaker output. How do you set the impedance to 2 ohms when the specs claim that it does 4 ohms or 2 ohms?
You do not "set" the impedence on an amp. Amplifiers are designed to run safely at one or more impedence loads and the load presented to the amplifier is entirely dependant on the voice coil configuration of the sub(s) you are using and the manner in which those coils are wired.

Here's an unendingly handy voice coil wiring guide and the resultant Ohm loads each wiring option will create. Save it to your favorites so you'll always have it easily accessible for reference.

Edit: I finally beat Squeak to the punch on something!!!

+1 for Prowler //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By the subwoofer.

You don't "set" the impedance at the amplifier. The impedance the amplifier is operating at is based solely off of the load it is driving; i.e. the subwoofer.

If you want the amplifier to output it's 2ohm power level, then you need to use an subwoofer that has a final 2ohm impedance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.