Setting gain

Participant count
  • Participant list

CC33CONNOR

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys can y’all help me . I used amplifinder to find an amp that matches my 10inch kicker compr 2ohm. It can get 400rms . Using amplifinder , I found that kicker cxa400.1 was a good choice for that sub. Reading into it I saw that this amp can do 300rms at 2ohm (since my sub is 2ohm). I’m wondering how much I should set my gain because before this I used to have a 10inch kicker compc that could handle 250 rms and the amp was a kicker cxa300.4 . So a 4 channel amplifier. After reading stuff I saw that for one channel the amp provided less rms than the 250 that my sub could handle. Sooo I turned the gain and bass boost all the way up . Idk if there was slight distortion , but it definitely sounded good and really loud and it kept me satisfied for months. However randomly one day the sub blew . This doesn’t make sense to me because the amp rms for one channel is lower than the sub . The sub can handle more . So how did the sub blow and not the amp. So now I got a 10inch compr 2ohm that can handle 400 rms and the kicker 400.1 that can handle 300 at 2ohm. I hope this is a good choice .I guess my question is when should I know when to stop adjusting my gain because it sounded fine months ago with my compc, but it ended up blowing. I’ve watched videos on doing it by ear and a multimeter , but the ear method clearly didn’t work for me because the gain just seemed like a volume knob and I didn’t hear distortion in the sub, it just got louder. And the multimeter one is confusing for me because if I do the math, the square root of 300rmsx2ohm for the amp .. is lower than the square root of 400rmsx2ohm for the sub. I know that that’s my target voltage but which one do I do and is it really that accurate. I also don’t know if my multimeter is good because it kept jumping to 70 or so on the AC setting and it would never go to 0.

Maxing out the gain is a big no-no. It's not a RMS knob.

If you're not sure of what you are doing; just bite the bullet and go to a shop. I know it sux but you probably gonna save time and money in the long run.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

CC33CONNOR

CarAudio.com Newbie
CC33CONNOR
Lakeside
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from