Selecting a HO alternator

Guinelle1
10+ year member

Chicago
So i guess im looking for a high output alt for my truck. i have a 2000 chevy silverado with the 5.3 i have 4 RF 10 in P1s and im getting some pretty bad voltage drop. ive already killed one battery and have some alternator whine now too. i had a capacitor but i think that screwed it up so i took it out. they dont do crap. i guess i need something like around 200 amps but id figure id ask you guys. ive seen some of the ebay stuff and heard some reviews. id really like to buy one that isnt going to crap out on me after a month. i dont have much to spend but im willing to save up for something nice. what brands are the best?

I just got a mechman off a guy on here. Suppose to be pretty decent. Those ebay specials are mostly crap alts that are like bad amps with big numbers.

A good alt new is gonna cost minimum 400.00 and probably more like 550.00. Dont get fooled into special paint, chrome or powder coating cause that only traps heat which is the culprit in alternator failure.

Also look into the size of the pully cause in some cases the good alt co's will add a smaller pully to get more rms's out of the alts.

Welcome to Mechman!

Starters, Alternators and more for Cars, Trucks, Tractors and ATVs

thanks for the help guys. im thinking about selecting the 190 amp OEM high output alt from DC power. id like to say now that i think my alt is going out because i dont even have my radio on and i get voltage drop when i roll my windows up and down... weird

You really shouldn't need an HO alt for 4 10" P1s, they're like what 150 watts?
Sounds like your reg alt is junk and a big 3 upgrade should do it..
yea thats all i have and i also have an amp for my front speakers.

so people have had good luck with db electrical?

The alt for my grand am is on there for 189.00

it says output at idle is 105

max is 200 amp at 1200 engine rpm

isn't that almost the same thing?

how can it be so cheap?

I got one off eBay for my last car from "maniac motors" They were fast and helpful on the phone and the alternator performed well for the price (pretty much the cost of OEM one at the part store). I use Excessive Amperage now and that's working nicely as well. Nathan was also very helpful and did me right.

My .02, there's a half dozen companies that are popular here. Contact them all and go with whichever one you like and think you'll get the best customer service out of.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.