Second battery suggestion

Participant count
  • Participant list

tooshort_128
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
So I think my current second battery (Stinger SP1000) is on its way out. I'm looking for a cheap replacement to put in its place. Vehicle is a 2008 Chevy Tahoe with regular starting battery and stock alternator (I think 160amp). I'm pushing about 1200rms to a TC Sounds sub from a Diamond Audio 1200.1. Suggestions?

I rarely run it at full tilt but I see very slight dimming from the headlights at night when it's slammin'. The voltage in my truck is electronically controlled as I understand it so it always reads 14.4 but I could be wrong. I don't have a separate voltmeter to monitor it, but I couldn't imagine I need a large second battery.

For 1200RMS you won't need a second batt. I'm running a PPI 1800 on a GS300, yes I drop down to low 12's at full tilt. Have you done the big 3?

Being electronically controlled doesn't stop voltage drop from happening. The dimming is caused by your electrical system not being sufficient to support everything. Have you done the big 3? This could solve your problem and save money.

Back when I had my stock 100 amp alt and regular G24 Lead Acid I had voltage drop to high 12's at full tilt on 1200 Watts and even dropped .2 real quick just by turning on lights. Installed big 3 and drop stayed above 13 full tilt and turning on headlights no longer caused drop. I later added 240W+ RMS on my front stage and voltage still stayed above 13. Occasionally at idle if a note was real clipped it would dip below 13 but I play mostly clean music. So I'd certainly try doing the Big 3 first.

I've only upgraded the ground so far. Guess it could be worth it to do the whole thing. I came across a Kinetic HC600 for $50. That would be cheap insurance along with the big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.