sealed vs. ported for 12w6v2

It'll pound nice either way. I've been punching in and ****ing my box program (luckly it's the one manufacters use) it can estimate approx dB. and much more.

Would you like it to have a low cut-off freq.? w/ extended bass. I mean you said crisp sounding so id think youd rather a lower cut-off freq. w/ extended bass.

lemme know

The w6 is a sq woofer, not a spl woofer. If you're going to port it tune it really low. However, if it was me I would not port it. They have amazing sq sealed.

I have a pair of 10s, at first I was gonna port them, but then I decided to try them sealed first.

It is a ridiculous small box and I'm still impress by the sound that's coming out of these two little things //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif .

For some reason I think they are meant to be sealed, these are not boom boom speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif , is that what you want then these are not for you.

Keep them seal.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/2thumbs.gif.fdc3ba010dbb42b61704534b46d02fe4.gif

the difference in the cut-off freq is a bit diff between ported(about20.01Hz) @ 26.3166Hz Tune. and sealed (37.45Hz). however the size is tremndously different. these are just basic comp gen. boxes nothing special

2.25 cu.ft. @ 32Hz would cut-off about 26.56 Hz and have an average of about 115 Db @ RMS (30Hz - 90Hz) and wouldn't max out much higher

(VC - Wired Separate)

Keep it sealed it's a w6.
He is ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! Dude the 12W6 is a SOUND QUALITY sub woofer! Eric Holdaway ,with CA&E, said the 12W6 is the best sounding sub woofer that he has tested!

I listen to the same music u do plus throw in some country and I'm on my third enclosure with my W6's. The first was a JL box witch I had when I was just using one 12W6.It gave me some tight,natural sounding bass! Then I got the second so I let my buddy talk me into building a ported box. It was loud but the sound quality that the w6 is know for was NOT there. I just finished my current enclosure about 2 weeks ago. It's a 2.5 cu. ft. sealed box and I'm VERY HAPPY with it! I was at my buddy's house yesterday & I had in a Nickleback disc. One of his neighbors from two houses down came over just to see what speakers I had. He was saying how these days when u hear a loud system that all u mostly hear is boom & more boom but how impressed he was with how all the different frequencies blended together so well & how the bass sounded tight and natural instead of just loud "BOOM".

Don't let the sealed enclosure fool u though, when I dropped the second W6 in & the second 500/1 we tested the SPL with a SPL meter, with the mic at the windshield, and I hit 148.3!! Not too shaby at all if u ask me! Now I had the amps turned up a little more than I usually do just to see what kind of SPL I have.

Bottom line is this- u have a VERY nice sound quality sub woofer, why not put it in an enclosure that will let it do what it's made to do, you WON'T be disappointed!

Well its up to you as rlcowboy says its a sound quaility sub and i would keep it sealed.Right now i have mines in a 2.0 cft @ 31 hz and ill tell you this thing is insanely loud for wat it is compared to other setups that i heard people often wonder if i had 2 subs but the detail in some music just aint there and the really really low end isnt impressive at all.Btw the sorta music you listen too i dont think you be sacrificing alot going ported not much sq bass in rap im not too familiar with hard rock tho but dont get me wrong its still sounds amazinely crisp ported but its not at its best.

P.s im trying it in my old sealed box later today imma let u kno how it goes

The RIGHT ported enclosure won't let you down either. That said most people don't have the space to put these in the right ported enclosure and most end up in a ported box that is way too small and tuned way too high. A 32hz tuning results in a 3dB peak around 45hz. The sub wants a sub 25hz tuning to play flat. It also wants about 4 cf per driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.