SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

Got it but what's the benefit of having multiple ports over one large port? I'm thinking of a single port per woofer. Three woofers three ports..
from a performance standpoint, ZERO, its actually is much less efficient and way inferior to a single large port. Benefits? Easy to fit if you are hurting for space.

Now we will start with :

Sealed enclosures : A SEALED enclosure will be the smallest,and is the simplest of enclosures and will have good low frequency extension, but might not have the best low frequency extension. If space is limited.

and its a good choice for SQ fans (Sound Quality).

PORTED enclosures (Bass Reflex) : A PORTED enclosure will generally have a better low frequency extension for a given response shape,but would require a larger enclosure. If you made the enclosure as small as the sealed enclosure, but ported it to gain the low frequency response, the output would deviate from the desired flat response.

Ported enclosures are slightly more difficult to design than a sealed enclosure. When using a sealed enclosure, it is difficult to be so far off as to risk damaging the woofers. In any type of enclosure, the woofer relies on the enclosure for damping. If there is insufficient damping, the woofer's cone will move significantly more than it should. The ported box will provide virtually no damping below the port frequency, all of the control will be provided by the woofer's suspension. Below the tuning (port) frequency, it is possible to cause damage to the woofer well before power levels approach the maximum power ratings of the woofer.

common tunning frequencies :

Sound Quality
: 20 up to 28 Hz.

Sound Quality Loudness : 30 up to 35 Hz

Sound Pressure LeveL SPL : 40 up to 80 Hz (test tones are played rather than normal music, to avoid Low frequencies, which damages the speaker).

Its commonly used for competition propose. and not everyday driving.(unless you like listening to test tones for everyday driving).

BandPass enclosures (Single Reflex): Bandpass enclosure can sound good and give you a flat response,but most of the bandpass enclosures(in the market), are not designed for a flat response, this means that they are built to produce a large peak at some frequency from 50 to 60 Hz, these enclosures will work well with Rap, but generally they dont sound good with other types of music.

if u use a banpass enclosure. it should be designed specificaly for your speaker.

P.S : its not always recommended.

post-28-1094078749.gif

hope that this info will help many to understand the different types of enclosures.and which type will perform better for their propose.

-zAK
Bass outlaw thanks for the interesting info.how would you box a setup with 4 subs in the back seat of a truck for bass competition.ported or bandpass or something totally different your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...