Sealed box problem! What can I do? Am I SOL?

Mark_ab
5,000+ posts

The Alpha Male
I have a little problem. I have two perfects in a sealed box. Now, my dumb ass put the subs in a little offset for asthetic purposes, and two of the screw holes on the sub just go through carpeting. When the subs are going, and I feel around, air comes out the empty screw holes (obviously). What negative effects does this have, if any, and what can I do, short of buying a new box? Thanks for the help guys.

first of all, with air leaking out... you no longer have a sealed box! i would recomend you align the subs in the center of each opening in order to create a sealed enviroment. if there are any open holes you can try to plug them with some wooden dowels, cut to proper length, and glue. to make it look good still, just rotate the subs in opposite directions, just a little bit. ( the left sub counter clock-wise, the right sub clock-wise). this gives somewhat of a custom appearence.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll probably rotate them, as imral3 said. Just a question though, how much difference will it make? Will it be noticeable?

hey....u say youre running 2 perfect 12's off of a jbl 1200.1?....so how is it?...is it resonably loud, really loud, or plain old badass?...im plannin on doing the same setup, so how did u wire the subs, and what type of box are u running?(how big), and are the subs in one big box, or two separate boxes....thanks...o...and how is the sq?...good, great, excellent?...

p.s. do any of your friends have sounds?....if so, can you drown them out, and if so again, what do they have in their car?...

thanks a lot man..

i have found over the years that these hole strip out easy, when making a box always make the speaker holes a few cm to small, you can always make them bigger with a fine toothed wood rasp, also i mount 1X2X4 inch piece of REAL wood behind the holes at an angle, to beef them up, i always use those anchor nut things so i can tighten the sh*t out of the subs, and use locktight on them, works GREAT!!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.