New DD Sub with Rockford Amps in a sealed box

Participant count
  • Participant list

connerprince

CarAudio.com Newbie
Irvine
Hey everyone, I recently bought and installed two Rockford amps, one 4 channel for the speakers, and one mono for the sub. I bought a 12" DD SL600 as well and have it in a sealed box because the ported box the shop offered were all massive. Is there anything else I might need? The shop did talk to be about the potential sound benefits of having it in a ported box but I couldn't find one that was small for a 12" sub, what're your thoughts?

The box is everything
Either have one custom made that fits your needs or if you even semi competent with a saw and a drill you can make one yourself
Its not all that hard
Its never going to sound as good as it could in a prefab box

Hey everyone, I recently bought and installed two Rockford amps, one 4 channel for the speakers, and one mono for the sub. I bought a 12" DD SL600 as well and have it in a sealed box because the ported box the shop offered were all massive. Is there anything else I might need? The shop did talk to be about the potential sound benefits of having it in a ported box but I couldn't find one that was small for a 12" sub, what're your thoughts?

Most ported boxes will be 1.75-2.5cubic feet of airspace. That's just a base requirement.

Sealed will be .8-1.25.

That said ported has the benefit of being tuned to your listening preferences and vehicle acoustics.

The sl600 while I'm not sure without modeling the speaker in a box program will likely benifit from a ported enclosure. That said in your given airspace a ported 8 or 2 ported 6.5s may give you better performance. Maybe even a ported 10.

That said sealed isn't a bad box method it just struggles in the lower octaves imho

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...