SDS install log on the SSA Mazda

Participant count
  • Participants list

denim
5,000+ posts

SSAudio.com
SSA HQ East
Please do take a moment to read this topic and not just look at the pictures, as some of the photos will not make sense if you skip over what I try to say. I am few days behind on getting this pictures posted up, but life and all that goes with it has been in the way. Anyway, a MASSIVE thank you goes out to Don at Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information. I had initially hoped to use the SDS product line on the little Mazda with Don's guidance, but he went far and away above the call of duty and took 3, yes 3, very long work days out of his schedule to help me along the way. This was an excellent learning experience for me in terms of the physics of how the acoustics effect the car around me. Don was ever patient with my endless questions and wanted to go the extra mile and spend the extra time to make sure we got it right. Not to mention Don's supply of room temperature orange Gatorade that kept us from dehydrating in the process. I will not get into the demise of the sled (Mercedes Brabus 300ce) at this time.

In this case, physically having Don there explaining and showing me, step by step, section by section of the car, how and why and where to apply the SDS system was priceless! As you will see in the many following pictures, this is much more of a system, and the full effects were staggering. I say system because the CLD, CCF, Butyl Rope and MLV all have a purpose and work together to vastly change the vibrations in the metal and interior parts, along with sound transmission both into and out of the car. Don has figured out a number of very nifty tricks for installing, one most importantly is the fact that every inch of CCF and MLV can be pulled right out of the car, which you will see below in the pictures. We started in the rear hatch floor area, then worked our way forward on the floor up through the firewall, lastly working on the doors and vertical surfaces.

I have dampened a handful of cars in the past, heck, I nearly covered every inch of the wifey's old Civic with butyl tiles, many sections with multiple layers, but the performance was not like this. Once we were done, I was grinning like a fool, and opening and closing the door in disbelief as to the difference. The level of silence inside the vehicle is really something, almost cocoon like in nature as your ears take a moment to adjust to the change in noise level. In this rare case, I am not the man behind the curtain, I let Don (former large format pro-photographer) photograph the process, so all these photos are credit of the SDS camera.

As for the audio in the car, disregard that at the moment as it is still a 7 year old fully stock Pioneer system as I have had the Mazda only a few weeks and I am spending much of my non-daddy time on the road or away from somewhere appropriate to install audio. The funny thing is, how much better the stock audio system preforms. We were both taken back for a moment once we had finished up, I joked that I might just leave it stock. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif (Though I did lay down power, speaker wire, and RCA's under the carpet for the impending install which is another topic). This was a great deal of work, more then I had anticipated, but so worth it. I keep telling Don on the phone the additional benefits I keep finding out, the latest being that my 4 year old son goes to sleep much easier now due to greatly reduced road noise levels.

Again, and huge Thank You to Don for all the time, answers, assistance and effort that went into this install.

Details of the install log:

Vehicle:

2003 Mazda Protege5 5-speed

Materials used:

SDS Closed Cell Foam

SDS Mass Loaded Vinyl

SDS Constrained Layer Dampener

HH-66 Vinyl Adhesive

Velcro with dual pressure sensitive adhesive

Tools:

Silver Sharpie

Painters Tape

Large Shears

Scissors

At least a gallon of Mineral Spirits //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Denatured Alcohol

Utility Knife

Scalpel

Razor Blades

Panel Poppers

Heat Gun

Scraper

Stop watch

Photos:

1,2: Hatch Floor before start of install:

DSC_1651a.jpg

DSC_1655a.jpg

3,4: Begin of tear down:

DSC_1656a.jpg

DSC_1657a.jpg

5,6,7: Removal of some asphalt on hatch floor:

DSC_1658a.jpg

DSC_1659a.jpg

DSC_1660a.jpg

8: Application of CLD tiles on hatch floor:

DSC_1661a.jpg

9,10,11: Forming, shaping, cutting, planning of MLV on hatch floor:

DSC_1663a.jpg

DSC_1665a.jpg

DSC_1666a.jpg

12: Formed and removable hatch floor MLV:

DSC_1667a.jpg

13: CCF underneath MLV layer:

DSC_1668a.jpg

14,15: Me cutting MLV moving forward on the floor:

DSC_1669a.jpg

DSC_1670a.jpg

16,17,18,19,20,21: Completed hatch floor (this was the single most time consuming part of the install:

DSC_1675a.jpg

DSC_1676a.jpg

DSC_1677a.jpg

DSC_1678a.jpg

DSC_1679a.jpg

DSC_1680a.jpg

22,23: Start of front floor area (as you can see, much less CLD then expected):

DSC_1681a.jpg

DSC_1683a.jpg

24: Test fitting spare tire in well:

DSC_1684a.jpg

25: Continuation of front floor area:

DSC_1687a.jpg

26: Bad-ass spare tire sub woofer enclosure: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

DSC_1688a.jpg

27: More up front, showing some of the obstacles we were dealing with:

DSC_1690a.jpg

28: Front passenger door pre-tear down:

DSC_1691a.jpg

29: Torn down inner door:

DSC_1692a.jpg

30: Side impact beam before the Extruded Butyl Rope (EBR):

DSC_1693a.jpg

31: Side impact beam after little pieces of Extruded Butyl Rope pushed down between the beam and the outer door skin (this little amount made a very noticeable change in the door resonance, very smart application):

DSC_1695a.jpg

32: Small strips of plastic to cover the EBR as it stays sticky forever and will pick up dirt and grime:

DSC_1696a.jpg

33,34,35: Making templates of MLV for the door's:

DSC_1697a.jpg

DSC_1698a.jpg

DSC_1699a.jpg

36: Little blue Mazda inside the SDS Headquarters install bay:

DSC_1700a.jpg

37: Cut door skin MLV templates:

DSC_1702a.jpg

38: Interior of rear doors:

DSC_1703a.jpg

39,40: Test fitting MLV panel to door skin:

DSC_1705a.jpg

DSC_1706a.jpg

41: Test fitting MLV panel to door:

DSC_1707a.jpg

42: Test fitting door skin over MLV:

DSC_1708a.jpg

43: Cut and trimmed MLV panel on door showing nearly complete coverage:

DSC_1709a.jpg

44,45: Finishing rear doors into the wee-hours of the night (showing CCF on inside of MLV):

DSC_1710a.jpg

DSC_1711a.jpg

46: Rear hatch panel turned over to show the cut and trimmed CCF with the Velcro and their respective windows:

DSC_1712a.jpg

47: Completed rear hatch inner skin with cut and trimmed CCF and MLV:

DSC_1713a.jpg

Thank you for looking at the install log, I hope it is informative and eye opening to you as it was to me. I learned a great deal about my new little car, surprising as to all the engineering features and touches that you do not expect in a sporty little econo-box. As linked above, you can get these products from Sound Deadener Showdown - Your Source for Sound Deadening Products and Information. Lastly, a thank you again to Don!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.