Running subs at 2ohms bridged? Whats the deal?

ps2cho
10+ year member

LA
My amp:

2-channel car amplifier

100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (145 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)

290 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Subs:

2x Alpine SWE-1043

250w RMS

750w max

4ohms

Whats the implications of running both of these bridged in the amp in 2ohms?

Is it a danger for the subs or the amp overheating? If the amp does not overheat, is it okay to run?

My amp:2-channel car amplifier

100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms (145 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms)

290 watts RMS x 1 in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)

Subs:

2x Alpine SWE-1043

250w RMS

750w max

4ohms

Whats the implications of running both of these bridged in the amp in 2ohms?

Is it a danger for the subs or the amp overheating? If the amp does not overheat, is it okay to run?
that says it all

Yes, I understand that. My i5-2500k CPU is designed stable at 3.3GHz, but I run her at 4.5GHz....

Whats the deal with running at 2ohms 2 subwoofers bridged.

Personally I would not do it. But the subs will be fine as long as your not overly exceeding their rms rating. As far as the amp, it will either run fine, go into protect repeatedly, or blow.

Basically same as with you CPU. When you over clock a CPU it will either work fine, constantly restart your computer repeatedly, or eventually over heat and fry. BTW. I'm surprised your getting over 1 ghz xtra speed out of your CPU.

When you decrease the impedance, the current increases. Some of the parts inside the amplifier don't react well when the current is higher than what they were rated to handle. The effect would be like using a 5 amp fuse in a 10 amp circuit, it's not going to last very long.

Gotcha. Thank you for the explanation.

As with everything, there is the right way to do it, and the wrong way to do it. I have my CPU at 4.5GHz, but I am running a high end cooler, and keep the voltage under control -- I've done this for years and as long as you do it right, no problems.

Its a risk I'll take for the amp too....its only a DUAL XIA-3450 amp, so who cares right? Its lasted 3 years so far, and 1yr running bridged on my old subs. We'll see how long she goes for //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I just wanted to make sure my new subs were not in jeopardy.

odds of the am blowing are slim to none.. i have put my amps thru ridiculous ****... thats what protect is for.. not good to keep repeatedly doing it but i would give it a go.. If you give the subs clean power and the amps dont protect you wont have a problem.. just rty it out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.