Running an amp rated higher than subs

vandiar2
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I have seen some people say no and some say it is ok. I need a definite answer here. I am running two mtx 225 rms a piece.. I was wondering if it is ok to run a 600 rms amp? From what I understand technically it is ok to run an amp rated higher than the subs so long as you keep the gain down ... and some people saying to match the amp's rms with my subs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

It is perfectly fine, just set the amp gain level accordingly and you shouldn't have any problems. Most people on here buy amps that are higher rms than their sub is rated.

I have seen some people say no and some say it is ok. I need a definite answer here. I am running two mtx 225 rms a piece.. I was wondering if it is ok to run a 600 rms amp? From what I understand technically it is ok to run an amp rated higher than the subs so long as you keep the gain down ... and some people saying to match the amp's rms with my subs. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsupwink.gif.129404938effda6ad9cca39e7f4b58a3.gif

Well.. I haven't bought the amp yet. Going to go with an alpine, pioneer, or mtx haven't decided just yet. Wanted to get some advice first before committing to buying one. thanks for the fast responses! any suggestions on good amps?

go with alpine please, they are underrated and it's better to get an amp that is significantly more powerful than your subs, most subs can take alot more power than they are rated at so they need the headroom.

go with an alpine like already stated they are underrated. as far as to much power right now i am powering two 12's that are each rated at 300 rms at around 600 each with no problems. just keep the gains low like already stated and you will b good

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.