Run subs with reduced power

Participant count
  • Participant list

ducatipaso
10+ year member

Hi I have a Volvo C70 convertible and it has a 400watt alpine V12 that powers the stereo. I have a 8 inch sub in each door and they are each 8ohm subs. They are wired parallel with a 4inch 8ohm speaker in each door. A cross-over in each doors sends signal to each speaker.

I would imagine the factory subs are ok but I am planning to up-grade my system and run shallow mount MB Quarts 8inch subs in each door.

The MB Quarts are DVC with each coil being 4ohm. I was planning on wiring them in a series so that they would be 8ohm and I could just drop them right in. I am planning on replacing all of my speakers and install a sub amp but I don't have the time or money to do that now, so I was wondering if the MB Quarts subs would still be ok running on much less power then the 200RMS they can handle. I think the subs would be getting about 25watts rms until I install the sub amp and rewire them parallel to match the amp and feed them 200watts rms.

What do you think? Will the subs be ok running on a low amount of power?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.