Rockville baby

Unclespacey

CarAudio.com Newbie
Just a quick piece. Got this Rockville RVA m3 monoblock amp, spec sheet says it’s cea rated 600 watts at 2ohm and 1000 watts at 1ohm.

So far I’ve blown 2 subs (Orion cobalt 12 ~375rms, and Memphis pr12 ~300rms). Both subs were wired to 2ohm and I never had the gain over half way, never used bass boost, and no subsonic filter as I’ve used a sealed single 12 enclosure. Currently running a JL w1v3 in the same sealed box, gain about an 8th turn under halfway. And I can’t turn the bass knob up quite all the way before it starts sounding overpowered. Btw this is my first experience with JL and I gotta say this 300 watts rms 12 sub is slamming and picking up low bass notes that neither previous sub could get to. Beings that I have so much extra power to play with, I’m about to switch to a single 15 and build a ported box to spec. So if anyone could recommend a 15 inch sub in my power range (up to 1000watt rms) I can build a box to exact recommenced specs. I’ve looked at Skar SVR line and a few American bass and maybe sundown E series. In that price range-ish. Thanks for reading.

You blew them because of improper gain settings not because the amp is crazy good... You clipped the **** out of the signal. Gain can clip as early as a 1/8th depending on how strong your input voltage is and how sensitive your gain potentiometer is.

You blew them because of improper gain settings not because the amp is crazy good... You clipped the **** out of the signal. Gain can clip as early as a 1/8th depending on how strong your input voltage is and how sensitive your gain potentiometer is.
I've heard Lasherz say the same thing. I have never gain matched any of my installs and have never burned a subwoofer. How can you tell if the amp is extra sensetive sans multimeter?

I've heard Lasherz say the same thing. I have never gain matched any of my installs and have never burned a subwoofer. How can you tell if the amp is extra sensetive sans multimeter?
It says so on the gain/input sensitivity. Some amps are 4 volt to .2 which needs very little gain depending on your head unit. For example if your head unit is 5 volts preout and the amp max input is 4 volts that means you are already past max clean power at 0% gain with proper levels on the head unit, you might even need to lower the sub level to avoid clipping in this situation. some are 6 to .2 and some are 9 to .2 which need like 70-80% gain if you have a 2 volt head unit.

It says so on the gain/input sensitivity. Some amps are 4 volt to .2 which needs very little gain depending on your head unit. For example if your head unit is 5 volts preout and the amp max input is 4 volts that means you are already past max clean power at 0% gain with proper levels on the head unit, you might even need to lower the sub level to avoid clipping in this situation. some are 6 to .2 and some are 9 to .2 which need like 70-80% gain if you have a 2 volt head unit.
Jinkies Scooby! I have been lucky so far, for I have seen 4-.2 before but gave it no mind. I will adjust accordingly. Maybe even start gain matching for safety. Thank you.

Jinkies Scooby! I have been lucky so far, for I have seen 4-.2 before but gave it no mind. I will adjust accordingly. Maybe even start gain matching for safety. Thank you
car audio 101....maybe you need to stop giving people advice on here and learn something yourself...90% of your posts i laugh at....just another newbie "know it all" that knows nothing

car audio 101....maybe you need to stop giving people advice on here and learn something yourself...90% of your posts i laugh at....just another newbie "know it all" that knows nothing
Is that right? Since being active I have seen that most of your posts are insulting and provide little to no information, not even to begin guiding in a general direction. You belittle those seeking help for their lack of knowledge or budget equipment. Most people are not blessed like you are and seek help to make the best of what little they have and save where possible. Most meekly approach the "pros" prefacing with, "I know this sounds dumb" or "I am a noob" with hopes of finding support and a solution, or maybe just want to chop it up. Instead of finding a fellow audiophile, they are met by a belligerent know it all whom will not to answer their questions. So as far as I am concerened, you can go and **** yourself. You disrespectful mote of ****.

im just on here to buy and sell **** and make morons like you cry....but you go on ahead and keep helping with your extensive knowledge, the caraudio.com trophy should arrive in your mailbox anyday now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.