Review my choices before I click BIN!

Participant count
  • Participant list

944g37
10+ year member

As the title says, I have been researching and debating for a week now and I have made up my mind. That is unless the gurus on here can change my mind with valid points discrediting my choices

Car is a 99 Grand Prix coupe. Goals are decent, loud, clear, not looking for top of the line but dont want to use all the cheapest crap either. The car is a 350whp weekend warrior so im not dynamatting and building another 2.5 cu ft ported enclosure and all that weight. Music choice is generally rock and metal. Budget is under $1k total including wiring, adapters etc. Putting together a setup completely from scratch other than a meh set of Kenwood 6x9's already in the rear shelf.

Looking for a double din ~6" screen headunit under $300, 6.5" component set under $250, 10" Sub under $150. Had already decided on a Kicker ZX700.5 to power it all based on price compared to buying seperate 400.1 and 350.4 plus simplicity in wiring and the fact that I only trust Kicker for amps.

for a HU I was choosing from

Sony XAV-64BT

Pioneer AVH-X2600BT

Kenwood DDX371

JVC KW-V20BT

Leaning towards the JVC, The Sony only has 2 outputs and reviews said the Kenwoods BT doesnt work well.

For the component set I was thinking Infinity Kappa PERFECT 6.1, just because I dont really know much about component sets and they seem to fit my goals.

For sub I was thinking Type R. I already had a SPL Audio rebuilt RE SX 12 and im not interested in doing anything like that again. It just got out of hand. I just want a regular common brand cheap 10 that will handle ~400wrms. I already have a sealed prefab 10" enclosure too.

So tell me why my choices are stupid, tell me what to buy instead. Change my mind and guide me to buying the best parts that fit within my requirements

Diamond Audio TX102 | Easy Way Electronics or a JBL GTO 10" would be my better recommendations for a subwoofer in that price range. The Diamond is a closeout model, and I can order the JBL for you.

Your Infinity link goes to a pair of tweeters, not components. I have a set for $249 that is the same as HD 61A except the crossovers are different and easier to install. A step down from that is CL-61 on sale now for $149.99. I can also offer JBL P660C or MS-62C.

The Pioneer head unit should be good. I've heard rumors of the lower line Kenwoods being slow. No feedback on JVC other than what you can probably find online yourself.

I didn't mean to post any links I was just copy pasting model names off of parts I was looking at. Thanks for the input, I will look into the JBL subs. I really have no preference on the sub like I said. My first choice would be to have SPL audio build me a monster and put it on 1k wrms. I'm trying to steer away from that and just put together a basic setup for some low end but still be able to take it out by myself for trips to the dragstrip.

I see, it was the crappy forum ad bot adding links. The JBL GTO subs have decent Xmax(14 mm for the 12", for example) and one 10" in a spec ported enclosure might surprise you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.