Replacing the Speakers on an Older Car

chickenderp

Canada
I have a '77 lincoln continental that I bought a while ago, and I'm looking into replacing the speakers in the rear and front. My car has two on the rear package tray and one in each door panel. I got the speakers out easy enough, but I have some questions regarding my choice of speakers. Btw I'm a complete noob to car audio, so I apologize for ignorance.

The speakers that came out of my car are 3.2 ohms. How much leeway do I have in this regard, and how do I know if the speakers I'm buying are the right impedance? Does it matter if I get 2 or 3-way speakers? Will 3-way speakers work on the stock wiring, or do I have to run extra wire for those? Lastly, is the brand/model of speaker that important? I'm not planning on a huge upgrade here, I just want it to sound decent and be long lasting. I don't really want to spend more than $100 on all 4 speakers, but my budget is flexible if the cheap speakers are rubbish.

I should mention that so far I've only looked on crutchfield.com, because it has a function to search for speakers that will fit your specific car. I'd hate to have to modify the mounting brackets too much, so I liked this feature. I can supply more information about my car if you guys need it too. Thanks!

$100 for all 4 soeakers won't get you much. cheap speakers are just that...CHEAP.

what size speakers does your lincoln use? and you'll b powering them off the factory radio?

My fronts are 5-1/4" and my rears are 6" x 9". I think there's a little bit of leeway though if I did modify the mounts, especially in the back where there's plenty of room. I would power it off the factory radio. If all that's for sale under $100 is garbage I'd be open to suggestions also.

On deck power look at rockford prime 5.25 components and 6x9's. On ebay be around 100. On crutchfield be 170-180. I put some on an aftermarket deck in a friends car and I was not appauled. We can all be a bit of audio snobs. For the average listener they would probably suit you quite well

Drop the 100$ into some Alpine Type R coaxials in the front and disconnect the rears. The type R is a good sound for the money and you don't need speakers on the rear deck...they sound like garbage in that location

Going by gary's advice, I could go with a rockford 5-1/4" component speaker for $100, then a 6x9 2-way for $70 (or a 3-way for $80?) for around what you said. Would those work w/o an amp? A couple reviews said the bass left a little to be desired without one, but I don't think I'd suffer much for that.

Also, I can't seem to find any Alpine Type Rs for less than $200, but I did see they had Type Ss for around $100. Are those alright?

*In sober second thought, I realized that I was looking at american crutchfield. Canadian crutchfield doesn't seem to have these speakers specifically. They do have alpines though.

Stick with factory sizes in factory locations. maybe piece together the sets by buying used. ideally the same brand/line but it's not dire to match perfectly.

JBL P562 5-1/4" 2-way Power Series Speakers - Sonic Electronix

JBL GTO938 Grand Touring GTO 6" x 9" Car Speakers

i'm thinking that'll be enough to make you happy. but ideally you'd pair the fronts with matching rears:

JBL P963 6" x 9" Power Series Coaxial Car Speakers

I linked to Sonic, but Crutchfield is excellent to buy from, they'll give you everything you need. I highly recommend them.

to answer your other questions - your factory speakers are 4 ohm. when you measure them with a DMM you measure DC Resistance, not impedance, so it's lower, around 3.2 ohms.

some companies have 2 ohm nominal speakers to account for resistance in wiring and connections. the head unit sees closer to 4 ohms.

what head unit? i hope aftermarket. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2-way or 3-way doesn't matter for the head unit.

if you just can't afford $200 in speakers, new, then look for them used.

dont worry, you'll add an amp eventually, once you start upgrading, you dont stop. Get the good stuff now and add a cheap small 50rms x 4 channel amp later.
I think you're completely right, but I don't want to start splurging until I'm out of college and have a job so I can afford all this stuff.

to answer your other questions - your factory speakers are 4 ohm. when you measure them with a DMM you measure DC Resistance, not impedance, so it's lower, around 3.2 ohms. some companies have 2 ohm nominal speakers to account for resistance in wiring and connections. the head unit sees closer to 4 ohms.

what head unit? i hope aftermarket. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

2-way or 3-way doesn't matter for the head unit.

if you just can't afford $200 in speakers, new, then look for them used.
It's stock right now, I kind of like my 8-tracks! Though I have been looking at aftermarket HUs that have that retro look, but with aux jacks and stuff. I don't really want to put too big of a hole in my pocket just yet, but it's on my "Big list of upgrades".

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.