got new car with Subs installed. Help with stock speaker upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey everyone. I am new to superior sound in my own ride and need some newbie pointers if possible. I have a 2008 Aveo hatchback that came with a Sony Xplod deck and 1000w amp. On the plus side I have 2 12 inch Rockford Fosgate P2 subs that freaking rock. Problem. My actual speakers are stock and the door fits 4" baby speakers. I am not confident to Jimmy rig larger speakers to fit. All I want is clarity in the high and mid frequencies. No deep bass is required. A family member already handed me some lightning audio speakers for free but would I be better off actually buying speakers just for clarity or is free gonna beat paying a lot of money for pitifully tiny speakers? It just bothers me having decent bass but muddled treble. Anything should be better than stock and I know that lightning is owned by Rockford. They're the yellow ones, by the way. Thank you much.

Small speakers will get you nowhere fast. you want 6 1/2 speakers. So heres what your gonna have to do.

Take out your old ones.

make some MDF(type of wood) baffles. if you have the wood to do it. Google how to.

Car Speaker Spacers & Rings at Sonic Electronix

Or buy them

lay them over the hole you have from your old speakers. trace the inner circle.

cut out that circle of metal any way you can.

screw the baffle into the door.

screw speakers into baffle.

now you have a hole big enough to hold your speakers and your speakers mounted in them.

only problem i foresee is you not haveing enough room to put your door panel back on because your adding around 3/4- to a lil more on top of your metal door frame. Though i HIGHLY doubt thatll be a problem.

Also most speakers are mounted on some type of plastic kind of thing. companies use it separate the speaker from bare metal. Youll have to take that off, look if there is any way you can modify it to mount some 6 1/2 speakers.

I appreciate the prompt feedback but that might be an eventuality. I am not much of a diy person so for the time being can you answer in regards to 4 inch speakers? I know how to switch them. They might not be "good" enough but since I'm sticking with 4 inch should I use the free lightning audios or get Rockford or Alpine 4 inch? I know you guys are serious around here but my current problem isn't bigger speakers. Thanks.

Lightning audio is a pretty well run company and they make good product, so i would say just roll with them especially if you arent going to be amplifying your speakers. It would be a waste of money and time to buy different speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jessman1988

jessman1988
Palmer, Alaska
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
CarAudioCulture