Replacing DD for JL - mistake?

I have it firing upwards. I don't think I can build a box that can have the woofer face towards the trunk lid, and also have it be of a large size, but perhaps it's doable with some careful planning and measuring. I prefer to face my subs towards the rear of the car, but figured the most important factor is corner loading no?
The port is on the side, close to the corner of the car. The port is smaller then recommended by DD. It's a 6.5" diameter port.

DD recommends 64 inches for 4 cubes. This is a bit under 4, and is not seeing that much power so I figured it's not a big deal.

I DID have enough port area before (two 6.5" tubes, resulting in around 66 inches of port) but the tubes were almost the length of the whole enclosure inside, resulting in about a 40hz tune, and only 3cf of space left inside. Seems a bit less peaky with a smaller port tuned a little lower, leaving almost an extra cubic foot of airspace for the sub. Don't really notice any port noise either so I don't think I'm choking the sub...
When I had my 15 in the trunk facing upwards there was a lot of cancellation and loss of out put. The w6's or any decent 12's will in the right box be louder than the 15.

the w6's really has a problem with shear output, the w7 does a much better job at that. It is a very beautiful sounding driver though. It will take some measuring and calculations to get the w6 12's to out beat the 2515. I'm guessing the 2500 was not in the best enclosure 2 12's would more then likely work better in a trunk. If you get the w6's in the most proper enclosure you can fit you may be able to gain loudness while increasing sq a great deal. It will just take some trickery on the enclosure side.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy:

Do tell us more about these "measurements" and "calculations"

Well ive only had true experience with a DD(think he has the 9515) from my guy at my work. Hes had his for less than a year running off a Orion 1200.1. Seeing around that 1200 at 1 ohm i believe. He has a nice custom ported box and for being in a caddy sts with only a little opening in the rear dseats it does sound good and play pretty **** loud. However recently the sub froze up (he actually drives his work van alot too so not even really a daily use) and hes been waiting almost 2 months so far for it to be fixed. I know every situation is different and alot of people love DD and never have issues. His situation just reminded why i still buy JL from the shop i use alot.

If i have a problem, i take it in and usually just get swapped out the same day. Id never have to wait like that. But we dont have a true DD rep anywhere near i dont think.

Anyways the w6's sound great sealed, and a pair ported has a decent amount of output. Every setup is different tho so i can only go off what ive had.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif :crazy:
Do tell us more about these "measurements" and "calculations"
you mean like figuring out your cabin geometry and gain to figure out how to build an enclosure that is optimal for your car instead of throwing in a generic enclosure that is no better then a prefab?

Find a sealed prefab box for a single 12" then cut another 12" hole in the top of the box and put the two subs in for the most dbs

So I'm going to go ahead and make a box for the JLs.

They recommend 1.5cf, 32hz tune, 19" port area. Everything sounds too small (except the tune).

I want them loud and not too peaky. Would it be better to build them into say, 1.75-2 cubes, 32hz tune, 30" port area, per woofer? Would I get more output? I figured that JL makes a High output box for these, which is much larger then 1.5 cubes, so these subs should sound better in something bigger no?

Ended up building the box last night!

Made it the absolutely max size to fit the opening, and max depth from one end to the other.

4 cubes, 32hz, 64sq" port,

Walks circles around the DD setup! Running at 1 ohm on the Kaption monoblock, thus 500w each. Can't wait to try it on 1500w with a 2nd battery.

The rattle is disgusting though. But wow what a difference.

View attachment 26531245

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.