Replacement for 12W7 cone cover?

HariboSingh

Canada
JL Audio doesn't directly sell replacement parts for 12W7s and they want like $200 for a service/repair job.

https://fixmyspeaker.com/product/full-cone-cover-for-jl-w7/ would be a good option, but they're unavailable and have been for months.

Has anyone found an alternative, maybe from a different sub-woofer but fits the 12W7? I heard of someone online using a 12 inch dust cap/cone cover that was made for another subwoofer but looked like the OEM JL Audio one and fit.

I'm also thinking of measuring the cone and making a 3d model to get it 3d printed at a local shop.

JL Audio doesn't directly sell replacement parts for 12W7s and they want like $200 for a service/repair job.

https://fixmyspeaker.com/product/full-cone-cover-for-jl-w7/ would be a good option, but they're unavailable and have been for months.

Has anyone found an alternative, maybe from a different sub-woofer but fits the 12W7? I heard of someone online using a 12 inch dust cap/cone cover that was made for another subwoofer but looked like the OEM JL Audio one and fit.

I'm also thinking of measuring the cone and making a 3d model to get it 3d printed at a local shop.
youre gonna want to stick with the PSI drop ins. they sometimes have a wait for them, but are usually worth it

What precisely is broken?   If it's just the dustcap 45$ is outrageous to spend on one, they're like 1-2$ from China.   The only purpose of a dustcap is to keep debris out of the gap and any poly/paper/carbon fiber/kevlar/etc. etc. cap will do the job and the mass difference of a few grams won't effect a thing.

Now if you need to replace cone/surround/spider/coil/etc. that's a horse of a different color and it may well be worth the ride back to JL for OEM parts.   I've seen the PSi w7 recones and I was not impressed.

What precisely is broken?   If it's just the dustcap 45$ is outrageous to spend on one, they're like 1-2$ from China.   The only purpose of a dustcap is to keep debris out of the gap and any poly/paper/carbon fiber/kevlar/etc. etc. cap will do the job and the mass difference of a few grams won't effect a thing.

Now if you need to replace cone/surround/spider/coil/etc. that's a horse of a different color and it may well be worth the ride back to JL for OEM parts.   I've seen the PSi w7 recones and I was not impressed.
This is how it looked when I bought it. I checked that the coil and everything was fine. Only issues are no cone cover and there is a hole in the foam, which I've patched with gorilla tape on both sides to keep the coil aligned with the magnet . For $200, box included, I'm more than happy to sacrifice looks for value. The cone has two small shallow dents and don't affect the functionality. Right now, it looks like the third picture. So, technically it still has dust cap, but if I can find a decent replacement for the cone cover and re foam, I'd rather do that than pay $300 for OEM parts that achieve the same performance functionality. Plus, I like fixing things.

Resized_20180817_191918_9046.jpg

Resized_20180817_191838_9561.jpg

CN12W7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't just unplug the cone and replace that.  It'll be securely glued to the coil and spider.   Even if you can find a raw surround that's risky because if you misalign it you'll start rubbing the coil in the gap.

Pick off the old dustcap as best you can, replace it with any poly dustcap (use amazing goop glue) and band-aid those holes in the surround with Goop glue as well.  The roughed up part of the surround looks like hell but should still function.

The point is if you need to replace the cone you're replacing EVERYTHING and will need to make sure it all goes back perfectly aligned.... for the quality of non OEM replacements and the price it's worth just sending it back to JL.   Put it this way, if you had to just throw the sub away and someone offered you a new W7 for 300$ the new W7 for 300$ is still a pretty good deal.   If you plan to drop 200$ into half arsed non OEM parts and hope your first attempt to rebuild a sub yourself works you will probably have better results just buying any 200$ sub.

You can't just unplug the cone and replace that.  It'll be securely glued to the coil and spider.   Even if you can find a raw surround that's risky because if you misalign it you'll start rubbing the coil in the gap.

Pick off the old dustcap as best you can, replace it with any poly dustcap (use amazing goop glue) and band-aid those holes in the surround with Goop glue as well.  The roughed up part of the surround looks like hell but should still function.

The point is if you need to replace the cone you're replacing EVERYTHING and will need to make sure it all goes back perfectly aligned.... for the quality of non OEM replacements and the price it's worth just sending it back to JL.   Put it this way, if you had to just throw the sub away and someone offered you a new W7 for 300$ the new W7 for 300$ is still a pretty good deal.   If you plan to drop 200$ into half arsed non OEM parts and hope your first attempt to rebuild a sub yourself works you will probably have better results just buying any 200$ sub.
I think you misunderstood what I said. The coil, cone and spider are in great shape. It sounds just like my friends 10w7 and it functions well. The only issue is cosmetic. The guy who I bought it from had his car towed and somehow they smashed the front of the sub, but nothing else was affected. The foam only had one hole in it and the surface was slightly scraped, but nothing major was missing. I already peeled the old dust cap off and sealed the hole on the right side with gorilla tape and a thin layer of e6000 glue behind. I applied the same thing on the other side so it stays in alignment while playing.

All I'm looking for is cheap replacement parts that somewhat look and fit like the originals. I also don't mind keeping it like this because at the end of the day, I care more for how the sub sounds than how it looks, otherwise I'd buy something that didn't look like it was in a demolition derby.

Here's what it currently looks like. It might appear pretty beat up but it sounds great. I ordered a $5 dust cap from ebay, but in Canada, the shipping is $15, so $20 total for it. I will post pics if it fits well. I'm not so concerned with the surround right now since it's patched and there are no air leaks. If it comes down to it, in a few months I'll probably just get it serviced by JL Audio, but I can't afford it right now, which why I didn't spend $800 for a used 12w7.

20181215_133948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pop a dust cover on it. Since the cone is a full cover the dust cover isnt even needed since there is no open gap for the dust to get in. 

It's just cosmetic. 

I would be more worried in the surround repair since it the repair fails it will be destroyed in short time since the internal box pressure will RIP the surround apart

Just pop a dust cover on it. Since the cone is a full cover the dust cover isnt even needed since there is no open gap for the dust to get in. 

It's just cosmetic. 

I would be more worried in the surround repair since it the repair fails it will be destroyed in short time since the internal box pressure will RIP the surround apart
Good point. Although it sounds fine, there could be a lot of pressure escaping from under the tape. I think I'm gonna re-foam it asap. Apparently there are pretty good re-foam kits like https://www.simplyspeakers.com/jl-audio-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-12w7-fsk-12jl-w7-1.html with decent reviews.

Good point. Although it sounds fine, there could be a lot of pressure escaping from under the tape. I think I'm gonna re-foam it asap. Apparently there are pretty good re-foam kits like https://www.simplyspeakers.com/jl-audio-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-12w7-fsk-12jl-w7-1.html with decent reviews.
You dont have to reform it just use some of the GOOP stuck they were talking about before. It stays flexible even after dry and you dont need alot just a thin layer. 

Really if you want to save money and it to look go invert it in the box. That way you cant see the damaged cone. Only the motor

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.