Recommended Amp for two JL 13w3v3's

Landon223

I have two 4ohm JL 13w3v3's. As of right now, i have a boss phantom 1500 powering them. It wasn't my choice as my brother bought them and i bought it from him. I took the system to my local audio shop and they said the system was underpowered. I can't do too many aftermarket mods to my truck (2007 toyota tundra 5.7l 100amp alternator) like a new alternator and such because i don't have the money. What amp would give my subs the necessary power to run at 600w RMS. As I'm sure you can already tell, I'm new to the world of audio systems. When an amp says 1200w x 1 @ 4ohms, is that gonna power 2 subs at 1200w or just 1? i realize the "x 1" is talking about 1 channel but is the 1200w for just one sub and not 2?

A 1200 watt×1@ 4 ohm amp will give each of the(2) subs 600watts apiece assuming they are wired to 4 ohms at the amp.if your jl's are single voice coil 4 ohm subs having them wired together would give a 2 ohm load at the amp which isn't really good if the amp isn't rated for 2 ohms.

My brother wired both the + wires together and put them in the + terminal on the amp. and the same with the - wires. Don't really know if thats a good setup or not. considering getting an amp you guys recommend and taking it to an audio place and getting them to install it "right"

Get an amp that can put out 1200 to 1500 watts rms @ 2ohms. Kicker is coming out with a new line of amps. So you might be able to find a zx1500 cheaper than normal.

I would go with something efficient seeing as electrical is an issue(100a alt).

I'm assuming your running those sealed also since space is a premium in those trucks so you won't need a subsonic filter unless you intend to go ported later. One amp I can personally vouch for is the alpine Mrp m1000 tons of power and clean one I haven't listened to but see people rave about is the jl audio jx 1000 the alpine has a built in subsonic but it is set at 15hz to low to be useful the jx doesn't have one at all. If somehow your going ported that changes everything. But I still would go over a thousand watts on a 100a alt even with the big 3 and upgraded battery.

There is no issue with the alternator, you can run up to 1500 rms just fine on a 100 amp alt, search up what "the big 3 upgrade" is do that with 0 gauge OFC and get a decent amp that puts out good power. If your on a budget, grab a precision power black ice 1800, can be had for under 200 dollars. Dont worry about overpowering Learn how to set the gains with a digital multi meter and you'll be fine. You can even sell your boss amp and put whatever you can get for it towards a nice AGM battery later on.

100 amp alt does not automatically alienate you from running more then 1k rms.

I have two 4ohm JL 13w3v3's. As of right now, i have a boss phantom 1500 powering them. It wasn't my choice as my brother bought them and i bought it from him. I took the system to my local audio shop and they said the system was underpowered. I can't do too many aftermarket mods to my truck (2007 toyota tundra 5.7l 100amp alternator) like a new alternator and such because i don't have the money. What amp would give my subs the necessary power to run at 600w RMS. As I'm sure you can already tell, I'm new to the world of audio systems. When an amp says 1200w x 1 @ 4ohms, is that gonna power 2 subs at 1200w or just 1? i realize the "x 1" is talking about 1 channel but is the 1200w for just one sub and not 2?
I have the exact same setup in my car and just ordered a hifonics brx1600. have the subs wired down to 2ohms and the amp will push out 1200 watts. I haven't received it yet, but the reviews are pretty good, and considering you can get it on amazon for under $200, u really cant beat that deal, especially on a budget!!! Good Luck

100 amp alt does not automatically alienate you from running more then 1k rms.
That is fair to say, but...

There is no issue with the alternator, you can run up to 1500 rms just fine on a 100 amp alt
I disagree with that.

"Run just fine"? If you basically NEVER turn it up past 50% that may be somewhat true.

But w/o a doubt that kind of load will SUBSTANTIALLY shorten the life of a 100A alt.

The fact is it's hard to throw a blanket statement on how much power you can or can't run on a given stock electrical system because there are several factors and some vary significantly.

What I do know is I have a 130A alt, 1500w rms and pretty mild listening habits. Half the time, if not more, I'm listening to talk radio at very low volume, but I do blast it a few times a week for a few minutes at a time. Healthy battery & 2 of the big 3. I burn up an alternator roughly every 2 yrs.

That is fair to say, but...

I disagree with that.

"Run just fine"? If you basically NEVER turn it up past 50% that may be somewhat true.

But w/o a doubt that kind of load will SUBSTANTIALLY shorten the life of a 100A alt.

The fact is it's hard to throw a blanket statement on how much power you can or can't run on a given stock electrical system because there are several factors and some vary significantly.

What I do know is I have a 130A alt, 1500w rms and pretty mild listening habits. Half the time, if not more, I'm listening to talk radio at very low volume, but I do blast it a few times a week for a few minutes at a time. Healthy battery & 2 of the big 3. I burn up an alternator roughly every 2 yrs.
back then i had an 80 amp alt in a corolla ran 1600 rms then upgraded to 2400 rms went 3 years strong until I got a singer alt. The old stock 80 amp alt is tested and its running fine and dandy till this day, (its my emergency spare). I had big 3 ofc, a kinetic in front and a hc2400 in the back and got a 2nd 1hc2400 in the back when i upgraded to 2400 rms. My amps are power hogs too.. You gotta know your system is not gonna draw your amp's maximum amperage all the times, music is dynamic theres ups and downs and peaks in power draw but its not gonna be ******* full power at every given moment. When there's those heavy basslines and current draws, thats when your battery bank comes into play.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.