rebuilding an old pickup, needs a stereo!

countryAF

hello,

I have a single cab chevy that I'm trying to put together an affordable system for. I'll be building from scratch, nothing in the truck now. I don't need it LOUD. I prioritize sound quality and full range over volume. I don't know crap about this stuff, other than knowing when stuff sounds bad. when searching on google, most of the "review" websites seem more like an advertisement, so I figure I'd turn to this community for help.

since I'm already elbow deep cash-wise in this restoration, I didn't want to spend more than $350. I'm thinking I'd want a head unit, two tweets and two mids for this price. I'll want to add a self contained, small woofer behind the seat at some point, so I'd like the head unit to have that capability. I may be way off base in this thinking though...maybe full range would be the way to go these days, I'm not sure. I remember people used to put 6x9s in back in the day for cheap with the understanding that your sacrificing sound quality for an all-in-one type speaker. I'd rather buy something that has good sq and build upon it, if that's what the budget allows. i.e. getting just a head unit and two of the five speakers I'm looking to get. in other words, I'd rather buy a couple quality pieces and expand later rather than fill the truck up with crap. I can fabricate well, so no need to worry about existing speaker openings.

If it matters, I listen to many genres of music, but as stated earlier, at a normal volume level.

thanks for your time,

Jeremy

hello,
I have a single cab chevy that I'm trying to put together an affordable system for. I'll be building from scratch, nothing in the truck now. I don't need it LOUD. I prioritize sound quality and full range over volume. I don't know crap about this stuff, other than knowing when stuff sounds bad. when searching on google, most of the "review" websites seem more like an advertisement, so I figure I'd turn to this community for help.

since I'm already elbow deep cash-wise in this restoration, I didn't want to spend more than $350. I'm thinking I'd want a head unit, two tweets and two mids for this price. I'll want to add a self contained, small woofer behind the seat at some point, so I'd like the head unit to have that capability. I may be way off base in this thinking though...maybe full range would be the way to go these days, I'm not sure. I remember people used to put 6x9s in back in the day for cheap with the understanding that your sacrificing sound quality for an all-in-one type speaker. I'd rather buy something that has good sq and build upon it, if that's what the budget allows. i.e. getting just a head unit and two of the five speakers I'm looking to get. in other words, I'd rather buy a couple quality pieces and expand later rather than fill the truck up with crap. I can fabricate well, so no need to worry about existing speaker openings.

If it matters, I listen to many genres of music, but as stated earlier, at a normal volume level.

thanks for your time,

Jeremy
In that price range you should be able to find something nice ..

2nd hand market is your best option with that budget. Scour offerup clist letgo and fb marketplace
I live in a rural area, CL is kind of sparse. I don't really trust people so I tend to steer clear of second hand stuff on CL anyway. I'd prefer to get a couple new pieces and expand if that's what I need to do in this price range.

any suggestions on new stuff?

I live in a rural area, CL is kind of sparse. I don't really trust people so I tend to steer clear of second hand stuff on CL anyway. I'd prefer to get a couple new pieces and expand if that's what I need to do in this price range.
any suggestions on new stuff?
Honestly in that case I would just head to walmart they have pioneer kicker and that dual amp bigblank69 tested wasnt too shabby

hello,

thanks for your time,

Jeremy
do your doors have custom panels? i ask becuase of your mantion of 6x9s and not knowing what kind of truck it is

do your doors have custom panels? i ask becuase of your mantion of 6x9s and not knowing what kind of truck it is
it's a square body chevy. the cab is off the frame and it's stripped down, so I can do anything at this point. I'm not opposed to cutting. I was thinking 6.5s with tweets in the doors with a self contained 8 or 10" woofer behind the seats. there is also a void in the rear cab corners where 6x9s would fit no problem. it's a small space and I don't like it loud so I figured the mid/tweet in each door and the sub would give it a full sound with the right tuning through a deck.

what were you thinking I should do?

[quote name='countryAF']it's a square body chevy. the cab is off the frame and it's stripped down, so I can do anything at this point. I'm not opposed to cutting. I was thinking 6.5s with tweets in the doors with a self contained 8 or 10" woofer behind the seats. there is also a void in the rear cab corners where 6x9s would fit no problem. it's a small space and I don't like it loud so I figured the mid/tweet in each door and the sub would give it a full sound with the right tuning through a deck.

what were you thinking I should do?[/QUOTE]

perfect! get raw drivers off parts-express.com and get a deck that is capable of active crossovers, a 4 channel amp. PRV audio makes a great bang for your buck 6.5 (i own 2 pair) and massive audio makes a very good tweeter (that i actually also own, but havent hooked up yet) https://www.amazon.com/Massive-Audio-CT2-Tweeter-Crossovers/dp/B00NBC25UM

both of those items were recommended to me by @Jeffdachef and his recommendations are very well trusted here. if he chimes in, he will likely agree with this

I would do 6.5s in the doors and custom b pillars with tweet pods and a 10 behind the seats. Since you're after sq, the install is more important than the gear you use.
also a grip of sound deadening material esp since youre starting from scratch. the deck with active x-overs, time alignment and a good eq along with this other stuff will rock the socks. ALL THE SOCKS!!!

it's a square body chevy. the cab is off the frame and it's stripped down, so I can do anything at this point. I'm not opposed to cutting. I was thinking 6.5s with tweets in the doors with a self contained 8 or 10" woofer behind the seats. there is also a void in the rear cab corners where 6x9s would fit no problem. it's a small space and I don't like it loud so I figured the mid/tweet in each door and the sub would give it a full sound with the right tuning through a deck.
what were you thinking I should do?
I just got through fixing a nice square body chevy for a guy ..I ended up doing a digital dash in it and a nice sounding stereo system in it ..I ended up using a Pioneer shallow 12 subwoofer due to lack of behind the seat room ..I wanted to put him a custom console sub box in it but he was too hung up on his original console from his aftermarket seats in case he had a rider in the middle

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.