rebuilding an old pickup, needs a stereo!

hello,
I have a single cab chevy that I'm trying to put together an affordable system for. I'll be building from scratch, nothing in the truck now. I don't need it LOUD. I prioritize sound quality and full range over volume. I don't know crap about this stuff, other than knowing when stuff sounds bad. when searching on google, most of the "review" websites seem more like an advertisement, so I figure I'd turn to this community for help.

since I'm already elbow deep cash-wise in this restoration, I didn't want to spend more than $350. I'm thinking I'd want a head unit, two tweets and two mids for this price. I'll want to add a self contained, small woofer behind the seat at some point, so I'd like the head unit to have that capability. I may be way off base in this thinking though...maybe full range would be the way to go these days, I'm not sure. I remember people used to put 6x9s in back in the day for cheap with the understanding that your sacrificing sound quality for an all-in-one type speaker. I'd rather buy something that has good sq and build upon it, if that's what the budget allows. i.e. getting just a head unit and two of the five speakers I'm looking to get. in other words, I'd rather buy a couple quality pieces and expand later rather than fill the truck up with crap. I can fabricate well, so no need to worry about existing speaker openings.

If it matters, I listen to many genres of music, but as stated earlier, at a normal volume level.

thanks for your time,

Jeremy
jeff said this hu is very good (similar to my kenwood since it's same company now) 4v preouts eq and all for $59 rn at bb https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jvc-in-dash-digital-media-receiver-built-in-bluetooth-satellite-radio-ready-with-detachable-faceplate-black/5712376.p?skuId=5712376

I just got through fixing a nice square body chevy for a guy ..I ended up doing a digital dash in it and a nice sounding stereo system in it ..I ended up using a Pioneer shallow 12 subwoofer due to lack of behind the seat room ..I wanted to put him a custom console sub box in it but he was too hung up on his original console from his aftermarket seats in case he had a rider in the middle
do you have any pictures of the end result?

[quote name='countryAF']awesome, thanks for all the replies. definitely need to do more homework since most of this is Chinese to me, lol![/QUOTE]

The car audio world has changed a ton since even I was active in it back in the early 2000s. I've apparently forgotten a good chunk of what I knew, but these guys are well versed. If you're mechanically inclined and can do the physical work and possess a logical brain that can apply very direct instructions (which it seems like you do) there are about 7 dudes on here that will get you where you need to be. @Jeffdachef @LosIsATool just to name two (bad memory for names is my forte')

I was asking some buddies via text about the same stuff. turns out one of my friends who owns a car shop can get me great deals on rockford fosgate stuff. he just doesn't get much of a break on cheaper head units. he suggested these in the doors for about $70:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1675-S-Component-System/dp/B008IB8R8K

...and then I found this for behind the seat ~$140:

https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CIHTzZHx8dkCFdNowQod_0YG4g

would those be a good setup with the head unit @BOOMINGRANDPA suggested? that would put me at $210 for the speakers and $65 after tax on the HU, for a grand total of $275 plus whatever the wires will cost if they don't come with the components. does anything sound wrong with this setup, if I was looking at a quick and easy install?

thanks again for your help

I just measured and there is only about 6" to work with behind the seats. I'll probably have to build my own enclosure unless I can find a rockford fosgate sub/enclosure that is shallower.

edit: like this...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2S1X10/Rockford-Fosgate-R2S-1X10.html?tp=112&awkw=75639151105&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47621708065&awdv=c&awug=9031696&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrEydy-QtcN8JkvLHNV1PU8PIgrSIMexAnMM84EfafFOJzDaQ3dnfPkaAp34EALw_wcB

then I'd just need a 200-300 watt amp

[quote name='countryAF']I was asking some buddies via text about the same stuff. turns out one of my friends who owns a car shop can get me great deals on rockford fosgate stuff. he just doesn't get much of a break on cheaper head units. he suggested these in the doors for about $70:

https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P1675-S-Component-System/dp/B008IB8R8K

...and then I found this for behind the seat ~$140:

https://express.google.com/product/...campaign=gsx&dclid=CIHTzZHx8dkCFdNowQod_0YG4g

would those be a good setup with the head unit @BOOMINGRANDPA suggested? that would put me at $210 for the speakers and $65 after tax on the HU, for a grand total of $275 plus whatever the wires will cost if they don't come with the components. does anything sound wrong with this setup, if I was looking at a quick and easy install?

thanks again for your help[/QUOTE]
speakers should be fine.. if u do active set up u can get raw drivers on parts express pretty cheap like $15 each maybe better but i'll let jeff tell u about that.. idk about the sub., while it'll be better than nothing if u have a tad bit of room u can get a 12" truck box like $40 and pioneer 3003 12" $80 which is a much better sub and a pioneer 8601 800rms amp for $99 at walmart so it would be little more $ cause u would need 4ga amp kit but like 5x more bass (i'd say more than that, depends on box) and u would have decent amp that does rated power.. if u have limited space u can get same amp and wire and a 10" still better than any powered sub i've heard..

I just measured and there is only about 6" to work with behind the seats. I'll probably have to build my own enclosure unless I can find a rockford fosgate sub/enclosure that is shallower.
edit: like this...

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R2S1X10/Rockford-Fosgate-R2S-1X10.html?tp=112&awkw=75639151105&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47621708065&awdv=c&awug=9031696&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1q3VBRCFARIsAPHJXrEydy-QtcN8JkvLHNV1PU8PIgrSIMexAnMM84EfafFOJzDaQ3dnfPkaAp34EALw_wcB

then I'd just need a 200-300 watt amp
anyways, if you want loud and clear up front, id probably go with those massive audio tweeters i posted up a bit a go and the prv drivers runn off a 4 channel amp fed by that deck, just make sure to get the crossover and gain settings right, which we can help you with too. id skip the rockfords for the price diff, the prv/massive combo should kill those

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.