Rear Fill Soundstage Question

Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm planning on building a nice stereo, but I likely wont be able to purchase any new equipment for another month or two, so in the meantime I need to decide what would be a better use of my money and time. I am going to finish running all my wiring for a 7 channel system, however I haven't decided if I will make a 7 channel or a 5 channel system. I will put alpine 6x9 type rs in the front doors and plan to keep them there. I will run a 100W RMS @4Ω

Here comes the discussion. For now should I find a way to mount 4x6 infinity kappas in the back to help the soundstage and run them at 60 watts, or should I go with just a two channel system for now. Or should I spend the $100-150 and get a pair of 6.5" speakers.

Would I be better off buying a 8" sub first, or putting extra tweeters in my dash first?

If I got two way components put the woofer in the backdoor and the tweeter in the front dash, how would that sound vs coaxials in the back and extra tweeters vs coaxials in the back and no extra tweeters.

If you buy a comp set you want the woofer and tweeter pretty close to each other prly within 1.5ft, so you wouldn't want the to put the speaker in back door and tweet in dash.

Honestly don't put anything in back doors unless you are rising in the back seat? Didn't think so so put that money into your front stage

You would invest that money better in sound deadening your front doors, a subwoofer, better components up front, or almost anything. If you're not trying to play 5.1 surround with material that's recorded in 5.1 surround putting stuff behind you (besides a subwoofer) is a recipe for disaster.

If you buy a comp set you want the woofer and tweeter pretty close to each other prly within 1.5ft, so you wouldn't want the to put the speaker in back door and tweet in dash.
Honestly don't put anything in back doors unless you are rising in the back seat? Didn't think so so put that money into your front stage
Since I have the infinity 4x6 kappas sitting on the shelf, wouldn't putting them in the back somewhere have a better soundstage then running off of two channels?

If I decide to run without the rear speakers, what would you think about bridging my amp to run 200 watts rms @4 ohms to the alpine type r 8" until I buy the zapco amp?

I say just forget about rearfill. I don't have any, lol
It seems to me that rearfill would be pretty important in a high budget build, I have never heard of purposely running without any rearfill until the fourm. Doesn't it ever sound hollow or a lack of imaging to you? Imaging is one of the most important aspects of audio to me, and I would think rearfill would be very important.

You would invest that money better in sound deadening your front doors, a subwoofer, better components up front, or almost anything. If you're not trying to play 5.1 surround with material that's recorded in 5.1 surround putting stuff behind you (besides a subwoofer) is a recipe for disaster.
we have upmixers and they are very good at what they do.

It seems to me that rearfill would be pretty important in a high budget build, I have never heard of purposely running without any rearfill until the fourm. Doesn't it ever sound hollow or a lack of imaging to you? Imaging is one of the most important aspects of audio to me, and I would think rearfill would be very important.
Rear fill will screw up the image if its not processed with 5.1 or 7.1. All they do is send the out of phase info and it really makes the stage more full. If you don't have that its not going to be beneficial, some DSPs can still make it work but that's way more advanced.

Go into a high end home audio store and ask to audition some speakers for music listening and let me know how many multi thousand dollar boutique/expensive/premium/audiophile speaker systems have sound coming from behind you.

Rear fill will screw up the image if its not processed with 5.1 or 7.1. All they do is send the out of phase info and it really makes the stage more full. If you don't have that its not going to be beneficial, some DSPs can still make it work but that's way more advanced.
My headunit has time delay (I belive other processing features.), would that help/solve the problem? The headunit I'm speaking of is the Alpine CDE-164BT.

Go into a high end home audio store and ask to audition some speakers for music listening and let me know how many multi thousand dollar boutique/expensive/premium/audiophile speaker systems have sound coming from behind you.
The problem with that is the best audio store we have within miles of here is bestbuy, and the best speakers they have are $60 a pair. And the tech guys know nothing about audio.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.