Ready to start my build..

Participant count
  • Participant list
But i have some questions first..

I got my design from @nkrell11 and purchased everything needed. I am going to try and build it similar to the way the box was built in this video How To Build A Subwoofer Box 2 | Beginner Car Audio Tutorial - Dual 12" Custom Ported Sub Enclosure - YouTube

Now, about the video, they use fiberglass resin. What does this do? Tomorrow I plan on making the cuts, and gluing everything. How long should I wait for the glue to finish? I know around 24 hours is recommended but is it really that important that you wait? Also how hard would it to be to put some LED's in the port?

Resin is used to seal and strengthen the inside of the box. Although, it doesn't need sealing and if you don't use some sort of fabric with the resin, it will crack just like a wood joint will.

How long to wait for glue to set depends on the glue and how you fastened the panels together. With Titebond III and 15 gauge nails, you can use the box in an hour or so, although it would be better to wait about 12 hours in 70° F weather.

As for installing LEDS, how hard it is depends on the size of the port and your experience level. All in all, it shouldn't be too difficult if you're skilled enough to build the box and install it.

Hey guys. I'm building this box now. Have yet to put the top on, is it necessary to wait the 24 hours for the glue to dry before I put the subs in and start bumping? I'm real anxious to try this out im going to wait the 24 hours but if its not necessary I dont see why I would.

Also one other thing, is there a prefab vs custom box comparison somewhere? I'd love to see the differences between someone using a prefab vs a custom made box

I did see a prefab box vs custom box on YouTube I believe it was actually from sonic electronics. The custom one was a few dB's louder which is expected, but for the average noob that doesn't know any better its great sonic made the video and showed termlab scores with direct swap.

And I wouldn't use the box for at least 12 hr dry/cure time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.