poor designed ported box vs prefab sealed box?

BassIsGrace
10+ year member

I have 2 12" soundqubed hds2's on about 800-1000rms in a 4cuft box ported thats supposed to be tuned to 32 hz.I got it from mobile soundworks.com this guy that had the same box recommended it to me.my subs hit the lows well.like 28-32hz but lack on higher notes like 34-37hz.ive seen alot of custom ported boxes and the port design on this box *****.theres a lip on the top and bottom of the port and the end of the port that shouldn't be there.and the box wouldn't fit in my trunk cause of to much depth.I was on a $150 budget and the person that could build me a box was busy and I grew impatient.im tired of having it in my back seat.it looks stupid.im getting another car in February so I wont be able to get a custom box made for a while.but I could afford a decent prefab sealed box from sonic electronix.would having a sealed box made with 3/4 mdf with polyfill in it that meets the airpsace requirements of my subs be better than a ported box that isnt tuned right and has poor design? I listen to all types of music so I think a sealed box will do for now

I'm kind of in the same boat. I just got a 2013 Hyundai Accent and I have everything for a whole new setup. Everything but the enclosure that is. I was thinking of a prefab dual 10" sealed for now ..money is tight. I have 2 Blaupunkt GTW 1000 10" subs. Looking for 1.0 cubic feet per sub. I see some that use 3/4 MDF for about $50 shipped. May give one a shot. If it *****, it's only $50.

Just buy a custom box from someone here or plans at least. Box is what gonna let ur system play the best so why would u waste money on equipment only for it to sound like sh! T

I would just go with the sealed box.cause from what I learned is if you dont have a custom box made to the specs of your sub it will not give you the performance you want.but with sealed boxes all you have to do is make sure your sub is getting the right amount of airspace and it will sound good.will play every bass note decently

Yeah I learned my lesson.I see people with single sub set ups that slam harder than a dual sub set up.cause they had a custom box built to spec plus good amp tuning/good quality wire.im saving money up right now to get a box made by my local shop

I have 2 12" soundqubed hds2's on about 800-1000rms in a 4cuft box ported thats supposed to be tuned to 32 hz.I got it from mobile soundworks.com this guy that had the same box recommended it to me.my subs hit the lows well.like 28-32hz but lack on higher notes like 34-37hz.ive seen alot of custom ported boxes and the port design on this box *****.theres a lip on the top and bottom of the port and the end of the port that shouldn't be there.and the box wouldn't fit in my trunk cause of to much depth.I was on a $150 budget and the person that could build me a box was busy and I grew impatient.im tired of having it in my back seat.it looks stupid.im getting another car in February so I wont be able to get a custom box made for a while.but I could afford a decent prefab sealed box from sonic electronix.would having a sealed box made with 3/4 mdf with polyfill in it that meets the airpsace requirements of my subs be better than a ported box that isnt tuned right and has poor design? I listen to all types of music so I think a sealed box will do for now
let me clear this up, so your subs hit high 20s and low 30s but anything past 34 hz it starts losing loudness? Meaning your not hitting any 40s, 50s or 60hz notes? must be one silent system since most songs dont even go down past 40 often

I think im getting all the different frequencies mixed up.someone told me to put my lpf all the way down to 35hz so I did research and I should have had it at 80hz.and sound qubed sent me a d2 instead of another d4 so my subs arent getting equal power so theres another reason.I got it sorted out and they're gunna send me the right sub

I think im getting all the different frequencies mixed up.someone told me to put my lpf all the way down to 35hz so I did research and I should have had it at 80hz.and sound qubed sent me a d2 instead of another d4 so my subs arent getting equal power so theres another reason.I got it sorted out and they're gunna send me the right sub
yeah what the box is tuned to is not what the sub plays all the times man. I think your just missing out on the 60-80 hz section which is common with some subs in a lower tuned enclosure. I personally would play around with the tuning on the headunit and amps set low pass to 80 all around and then afterwards play around with the positioning of the sub. have it fire to the rear, closer, further, have it fire up or hell, even have your seats down and make it fire into the cabin and seal off the trunk(usually gives you more higher hz bass response with this option) do those before wasting money on more useless prefabs.

Until I can afford to have a custom ported box built to spec of my subs Im stuck with this box for a while.I'll have to modify it some.it wont fit in my trunk cause it has to much depth.21".my old box had 17" of depth and fit just fine.this box is double baffle so do you think if I took one layer off that would help me get it in the trunk? And people were saying I should just seal up the port cause it being sealed will give me better sound quality.my subs have enough airspace

Until I can afford to have a custom ported box built to spec of my subs Im stuck with this box for a while.I'll have to modify it some.it wont fit in my trunk cause it has to much depth.21".my old box had 17" of depth and fit just fine.this box is double baffle so do you think if I took one layer off that would help me get it in the trunk? And people were saying I should just seal up the port cause it being sealed will give me better sound quality.my subs have enough airspace
problem is, those HDS200s do not model well in a sealed box. There TS parameters show they are not suitable in sealed applications.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.