Rainbows, need info!

After looking for months I've decided on the Profi Vanadium 265 ,now just gotta save a couple 100 more since they're twice my original budget.

1: Most people turn to the SLC's or Germaniums. The SLC comps will cost you somewhere between $250-350. They sound very good for the price. The Germaniums are a step up at around $550. These sound excellent and have an amazing passive crossover design.

2: Most people really like them

3: There are tonality difference between these three models. All have low distortion and excellent accuracy. There are lots of reviews on the Germs, so I will let you search for that. The Profi and Vandium lines differ in that the profi has a paper cone (which gives it the more warm tone that Rainbow is known for) while the Vandium have a metal cones which IMO sound cold.

4: As mentioned above there is a great review on diymobileaudio.com under the review section. The kick will have exceptional midbass and good midrange. They need to be high passed at 80 Hz on a -12 db/oct slope. The phase plug will have less midbass, slightly better midrange and different off-axis response characteristics.

So, hope that kind of pushes you in the right direction. Honestly, if you are going to spend 500-1000 dollars on a set of components you had better spend some decent time/money on your install. I don't know how much of this you know already...so bear with me.

1: Spend some money on deadening material. I would suggest Raammat for SecondSkin. Get some butyl based mat and some closed cell foam.

2: Might try fiberglassing some kicks. If built right they will give you better imaging. Also, moving from a 2 way system to a 3 way can give you much better results.

3: Try active. This assumes you personally have/know somebody who has exceptional tuning abilities. Otherwise you probably won't get good results.
So I take it that you like the Profi Kick over the Germs or the Profi Vans?

What about this type of deadening material? http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=51

Where is a good place to get the deadening you suggested?

Thanks enzowho!

I have listened to the Vandiums before and own the Germs and Profi's kicks. All three sound excellent but have different nuances if you will. I do prefer the Profi kicks for my current install which is a 3 way active (Profi Kickbass in the doors, Revelators in the kicks and my old eclipse tweeter:crap: ). 3.5max6spd, premieraudio and 6spdcoupe have more experience with these drivers then I due though, so perhaps they can continue to offer advice to help you select the right pair.

Also, for deadener try Raammat or SecondSkin. I have personally dealt with Rick at Raammat (he helped me with my install a while back) and he was super helpful and his prices are great. It will make a huge difference and is absolutely essential if you are going to buy one of the ^^^ component sets.

Edit: if you didn't find the thread on diymobileaudio here it is

-rich

3.5max6spd, premieraudio and 6spdcoupe have more experience with these drivers then I due though, so perhaps they can continue to offer advice to help you select the right pair.

-rich
Hmnn...I know 6spdcoupe and I have been using, listening, installing - and sharing on this very forum....the Rainbow line for nearly 3-4 years now. Speaking of experience...

I dunno this premieraudio guy. I've yet to hear anything strickingly genuine involving individual experience with this product. I dunno what is up with the price chopping and sales in my backyard either.

Hmnn...I know 6spdcoupe and I have been using, listening, installing - and sharing on this very forum....the Rainbow line for nearly 3-4 years now. Speaking of experience...
I dunno this premieraudio guy. I've yet to hear anything strickingly genuine involving individual experience with this product. I dunno what is up with the price chopping and sales in my backyard either.
6spd is better? Premier just has lower prices on his germs.

He shouldnt have lower prices at all, if anything we should Both be respecting the SRP pricing that has been set for us. He was told when he original had "call for better pricing" that he had to remove it, so he did. Now he still goes ALOT lower, but just doesnt advertise that he will. Seems a bit shady no?

I have kept the same prices for everyone, everytime to be fair. No price dropping considering its already below what they are supposed to be at. Ive had people contact me for products from His area and sent them to him. But nonetheless he wont hesitate for a second to sell products to someone 10 miles away from me.

I have kept the same prices for everyone, everytime to be fair. No price dropping considering its already below what they are supposed to be at. Ive had people contact me for products from His area and sent them to him. But nonetheless he wont hesitate for a second to sell products to someone 10 miles away from me.
6spdcoupe is a stand-up guy with good prices for the SLC265's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.