Rainbows, need info!

Morning:

Your best bet would be to run a search for "Rainbow" under the speaker sub-forum. You will find countless feedback from users who have purchased Rainbow speakers. One thing to keep in mind that Rainbow make several different lines of speakers ($120.00 or so up to several thousand dollars). The most popular "flavor" at caraudio.com seems to be the SLC and Germanium lines. Expect at least a $200.00-300.00 price difference. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I run a 5.25in SLC component set for my front stage in my truck. I'm actually surprised at the amount of mid-bass that comes out of the speaker. I wasn't expecting a whole lot. The tweeters provide fairly accurate sound to my ears. The speakers are an excellent deal for the price paid. I don't think you could go wrong by picking up a set. Heck, I even bought the set without even hearing them first due to the feedback on this forum.

Now, if you decide to buy a set, I'd recommend 6spdcoupe as he is a forum member and authorized Rainbow dealer. I've bought from him and his service was great. No trouble at all. Good luck on with whatever you decide to buy.

x2 on the search. There is a ton of Rainbow threads.

I am using the CMX 265 and love them. They replaced my Diamond Hex 6.5's. The midbass is great and the tweeter is smooth and not at all fatiguing. Definately a superior comp set. They blend very well with my substage and I couldn't be much happier with their performance. This is their only line I have experinece with but I am sure they are all nice considering the reviews they get around here.

Good Luck!

And definately PM 6spdcoupe. Great guy to deal with.

I guess I should have giving a little more info on what I was requesting. I did do a search for Rainbow and hundreds of the same post come up suggesting doing a "search".

What I'm after is to find out info on the 6.5 sizes for the fronts of my truck;

1. What line are most people using

2. How do they like them

3. I'm interested in the Germanium, Profi, and Profi Vanadium lines

4. Interested in finding out what's the difference between their regular 6.5 woofer, kick woofer, and the plug

I also have read everything about them on their web site but I want info from people that have actually had them in their hands and used them.

Thanks,

John

I guess I should have giving a little more info on what I was requesting. I did do a search for Rainbow and hundreds of the same post come up suggesting doing a "search".

2. How do they like them

4. Interested in finding out what's the difference between their regular 6.5 woofer, kick woofer, and the plug

I also have read everything about them on their web site but I want info from people that have actually had them in their hands and used them.

Thanks,

John
From my research and speaking on the phone and IM, etc, when you pass the germanium line is it becomes more about the quality of the install.

For a good comparison of the profi kick vs. the phase plug, go to http://www.diymobileaudio.com, click on forums, the reviews...It switched me from ordering the phase plugs to ordering the kicks.

I've for the SLC 265 6.5 2 way comp set. I am thoroughly pleased by this setup and it will stay with me for a long time, even if the I upgrade, I'll throw them in the gf's car.

Great midbass, accurate highs, not harsh at all. Very capable set to run as your only interior speakers.

2. How do they like them

1: Most people turn to the SLC's or Germaniums. The SLC comps will cost you somewhere between $250-350. They sound very good for the price. The Germaniums are a step up at around $550. These sound excellent and have an amazing passive crossover design.

2: Most people really like them

3: There are tonality difference between these three models. All have low distortion and excellent accuracy. There are lots of reviews on the Germs, so I will let you search for that. The Profi and Vandium lines differ in that the profi has a paper cone (which gives it the more warm tone that Rainbow is known for) while the Vandium have a metal cones which IMO sound cold.

4: As mentioned above there is a great review on diymobileaudio.com under the review section. The kick will have exceptional midbass and good midrange. They need to be high passed at 80 Hz on a -12 db/oct slope. The phase plug will have less midbass, slightly better midrange and different off-axis response characteristics.

So, hope that kindof pushes you in the right direction. Honestly, if you are going to spend 500-1000 dollars on a set of components you had better spend some decent time/money on your install. I don't know how much of this you know already...so bear with me.

1: Spend some money on deadening material. I would suggest Raammat for SecondSkin. Get some butyl based mat and some closed cell foam.

2: Might try fiberglassing some kicks. If built right they will give you better imaging. Also, moving from a 2 way system to a 3 way can give you much better results.

3: Try active. This assumes you personally have/know somebody who has exceptional tuning abilities. Otherwise you probably won't get good results.

Very well said. Biggest thing is that you spend time on your install to get the best performance out of any speakers. Even a poor install can make a fabulous system sound bad. If you have any questions just ask away, we are all here to help!

The Profi and Vandium lines differ in that the profi has a paper cone (which gives it the more warm tone that Rainbow is known for) while the Vandium have a metal cones which IMO sound cold.
The Vanadium mids certainly sound cold -'ER' than the Paper cones, but i would certainly not describe them overall as a cold sounding speaker. Only using the Phase plug Vanadium driver would i describe the midrange as colder and articulate.

Theres still a degree of warmth and earthiness otherwise with the Kick and standard driver to the midrange, aside of the tonal accent to the midbass kick the aluminum cone provides.

The Vanadium mids certainly sound cold -'ER' than the Paper cones, but i would certainly not describe them overall as a cold sounding speaker. Only using the Phase plug Vanadium driver would i describe the midrange as colder and articulate.

Theres still a degree of warmth and earthiness otherwise with the Kick and standard driver to the midrange, aside of the tonal accent to the midbass kick the aluminum cone provides.
touché

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.