quitting car audio for now:(

wiring and connections are the most overlooked part of installs. very few people ever give them the attention they deserve. i solder and heat shrink connections, which takes much more time and thought. i've finished a connection then realized i didn't like how the wire laid or was routed... and i stop and think "so what"... then i undo and redo. i don't redo my system because it fails or has issues. i redo it to experiment. i improve over time.
while DIY appears to save you money - it doesn't. at the very least it cost you a ton of time. at the worst - your gear fails and you are out more than the cost to pay someone who knows what they are doing.

x2 - systems are not budgeted correctly. you buy subs, buy an amp, and then what? you learn the hard way that it takes another $200 to install it all correctly... assuming you don't have to buy a ton of tools to get the job done.

as an on-call, mobile installer (meaning on-site installs) i have several tool kits and connector kits (large tackle boxes) that are stocked with parts, connectors, terminals, etc. anything i may need to work on cars, boats, homes, for audio, video, data, or general electronics. some installs require i bring 8 different cases for both power tools and connectors, and hand tools. the point is that a DIY install is much more expensive if you don't already have the infrastructure.

Preach on bro:suave:

The thing to remember is that all of this wiring and work is not easy to do well. You can't beat yourself up for making mistakes or trying something that doesn't pan out.

Once, back in 1999, I was messing around with some passive crossovers on my Orion XTR coaxial components (tweeter was mointed in woofer pole piece) and I mixed up the woofer and tweeter wires. Turned it on and it sounded weird. Instead of shutting down to check, I turned up the volume. I watched the tweeter cone move to excessive low frequency energy until it popped. I was devastated. It tought me to always shut off at the first sign of an issue. I haven't destroyed a speaker from miswiring since.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.