Quiet quality

Participant count
  • Participant list
if not ib you can't give up 5 6 8 inches of depth in the trunk for some 6.5 subs or something like a type r 8 no vent on the back designed to be mounted in narrow enclosures. Not even a shallow sub huh? Those under seat enclosures are a joke. If not willing to give an inch ib seems like the only solution to me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
if not ib you can't give up 5 6 8 inches of depth in the trunk for some 6.5 subs or something like a type r 8 no vent on the back designed to be mounted in narrow enclosures. Not even a shallow sub huh? Those under seat enclosures are a joke. If not willing to give an inch ib seems like the only solution to me anyway.
I am willing, just looking at all my other options first. I was under the impression that having the sub in the passenger compartment would mean I could go smaller, less lower to get through the seats. That was my main reason for focusing on the under seat. Just want to make a good decision for my vehicle, not trying to be stubborn.

If space is an issue but you want big accurate bass, I'd recommend building an Infinite Baffle setup. Amps behind your rear seats, the whole trunk is your enclosure(deaden it) You have literally the whole trunk left to do whatever you wish. The JL cleansweep only flattens the signal, You need something that does both flattening the signal AND adjusting the sound or else you'll be stuck with mediocre results with no sound stage or time alignment,

This could be a real possibility. I could make an open back enclosure with a 15 or two 12s or something, just big enough to hold it up against the back seat. Then it would be pretty easy to take out when I have to put my seats down.

I would then have to buy an amp for the subs along with an amp for the speakers... BUT I could move my setup to another vehicle easier. Lots to think about.

Can you explain the time adjustment and sound staging piece you were mentioning?

I was under the impression that having the sub in the passenger compartment would mean I could go smaller, less lower to get through the seats. That was my main reason for focusing on the under seat. Just want to make a good decision for my vehicle
It's simply way too small. 8 inch sub in a tiny sealed enclosure = poor bass extension. Much better off going ib with larger subs or shallow ported box set up for your situation imo.

It's simply way too small. 8 inch sub in a tiny sealed enclosure = poor bass extension. Much better off going ib with larger subs or shallow ported box set up for your situation imo.
Alright. I will budge and explore options for an in trunk sub setup. My understanding is that cone surface area is key. Meaning a 12 will have better low end reach than a similar quality 10 and, all things being equal, will produce better results at lower volumes. As I have said multiple times, I am not looking for loud. I want to enjoy my music personally on long car trips and commuting. Would I be better off with 2 12s with lower wattage or a single 15?

If you're talking about internal baffle idk a lot about it but pretty sure the front has to be sealed off from the back of the baffle so taking it in and out of the vehicle probably isn't going to be doable. 

If you go that route there's certain t/s parameters you'll want to look for. Pretty sure needs to have a fairly high qts. You'll loose around half the drivers power handling too so that'll help with running lower power but if built right a ported box is pretty efficient too. About all I know about ib certainly wouldn't be the loudest set up so no worries there.  I think you need to figure out what type of enclosure you're going with then worry about cone area how many subs etc. I think 123toid has a good YouTube video on ib. I'm sure others will chime in too.

I am willing, just looking at all my other options first. I was under the impression that having the sub in the passenger compartment would mean I could go smaller, less lower to get through the seats. That was my main reason for focusing on the under seat. Just want to make a good decision for my vehicle, not trying to be stubborn.

This could be a real possibility. I could make an open back enclosure with a 15 or two 12s or something, just big enough to hold it up against the back seat. Then it would be pretty easy to take out when I have to put my seats down.

I would then have to buy an amp for the subs along with an amp for the speakers... BUT I could move my setup to another vehicle easier. Lots to think about.

Can you explain the time adjustment and sound staging piece you were mentioning?
alpine pxa h800 or helix dsp if you want something fancy. Digital designs dsi 2 if you want something mid grade.  Dayton audio dsp 408 if you want something cheap. All are quality pieces.  You can get a taramps 3000 for 180 bucks. and a pioneer gm series 4 channel for 140 ish bucks.  If you have 18 inch height to work with this sub is designed for Infinite Baffle (its not open back the proper term is infinite baffle hence the description of the subs that can do so IB)  https://ficaraudio.com/product/ib3-series-ib318-v2/   

welcome to the money sink rabbit hole

alpine pxa h800 or helix dsp if you want something fancy. Digital designs dsi 2 if you want something mid grade.  Dayton audio dsp 408 if you want something cheap. All are quality pieces.  You can get a taramps 3000 for 180 bucks. and a pioneer gm series 4 channel for 140 ish bucks.  If you have 18 inch height to work with this sub is designed for Infinite Baffle (its not open back the proper term is infinite baffle hence the description of the subs that can do so IB)  https://ficaraudio.com/product/ib3-series-ib318-v2/   

welcome to the money sink rabbit hole
I was asking what they even were lol. but I did some research and basically they are badass equalizers that also let you change the microtiming of the firing of speakers and levels. Not a bad deal for the prices I am seeing. Especially since I don't have the best ear, I can probably get away with a mid grade and be happy.

As for the money pit thing, that seems to be my thing. I obsess over things and love to research and talk about it. Guitars were my thing in college, I guess at least for ne next few months it is gonna be car audio.

I was asking what they even were lol. but I did some research and basically they are badass equalizers that also let you change the microtiming of the firing of speakers and levels. Not a bad deal for the prices I am seeing. Especially since I don't have the best ear, I can probably get away with a mid grade and be happy.

As for the money pit thing, that seems to be my thing. I obsess over things and love to research and talk about it. Guitars were my thing in college, I guess at least for ne next few months it is gonna be car audio.
Its not just an equalizer,  you literally can control crossover slopes, and frequencies and type of crossover as well for perfect blend between sub, midbass, midrange, tweeter. Can literally cheap drivers sound amazing and good drivers sound out of this world., you dont really have to buy component speakers with included crossover, the DSP does the crossover all by itself.  Probably the most key important part of the system if SQ is the key.

Its not just an equalizer,  you literally can control crossover slopes, and frequencies and type of crossover as well for perfect blend between sub, midbass, midrange, tweeter. Can literally cheap drivers sound amazing and good drivers sound out of this world., you dont really have to buy component speakers with included crossover, the DSP does the crossover all by itself.  Probably the most key important part of the system if SQ is the key.
I will definitely do some research into them then. I was looking at sone of the things they can do. Waaay over my head. But I am sure I can have someone help me dial it in.

Right now I am trying to break down subs in general. I want to make an informed choice. Especially now that I am considering putting stuff in the trunk. Where the hell do I start? In the guitar world you have two options, closed and open back. In the car audio world I see sub enclosures that are "tuned". Specific dimensions down to the 1/8th of an inch. I can grasp that some subs need some back pressure to produce better quality sound while others are designed to not but how do I choose the right sub and enclosure to add some low end to my setup? I figure once I choose a sub I can choose my amp and dsp and really get going. On the right track?

I will definitely do some research into them then. I was looking at sone of the things they can do. Waaay over my head. But I am sure I can have someone help me dial it in.

Right now I am trying to break down subs in general. I want to make an informed choice. Especially now that I am considering putting stuff in the trunk. Where the hell do I start? In the guitar world you have two options, closed and open back. In the car audio world I see sub enclosures that are "tuned". Specific dimensions down to the 1/8th of an inch. I can grasp that some subs need some back pressure to produce better quality sound while others are designed to not but how do I choose the right sub and enclosure to add some low end to my setup? I figure once I choose a sub I can choose my amp and dsp and really get going. On the right track?
Any sub that says IB aka infinite baffle in the name or description. Go bit with the cone area like a 15.  All you need to do is build a snug fit baffle wall with no air leaks to the front side.  

Alright. I would like to back up a little bit. I am drowning in information lol. I have decided that I can sacrifice some teunk space for sound quality. First set of questions. Lets take IB out of the equation for a minute

My seats will be up the majority of the time. That will effect sound right? Keep_hope_alive cut a hole in the seat behind the fold down arm rest... I would not be opposed to this sounds fun!

If given the choice, all things being equal, would it be better to buy two 12" subs, or spend the same amount on 1 15"? The two 12s could fit behind my tail lights with some creativity. The 15 would probably barely fit with a bix up against the seat backs.

Why does this forum seem to look down on sealed boxes where 2 or 3 articles I have read seem to think sealed produces a better sound?

I have more questions but that will do for now. I appreciate everyone's willingness to try to educate me. I will be sure to make a build log to return the favor!!

i took my rear deck speakers out, lets the bass vent into the cabin.  hits hard, im completely happy with how it sounds

as far as boxes, sealed almost always have a flatter response = better sq

read this https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204374140-Enclosure-Type-Performance-Comparison

other good stuff to know.. https://jlaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200265750-Car-Audio-Support
flat is when it can play 25hz to 50hz with less than 1 db variation.  Sealed is linear not flat theres a major output disparity between low notes and the 40 to 50hz notes in most cares due to cabin gain. OP's car is a corolla which has a hard 47 to 50hz resonant frequency that skews literally any sealed setup close to a one note wonder. A sealed box will be FAR from flat in his case. Sealed = you just stuck with the frequency response of your vehicle acoustics with no means of flattening anything out. 1/4 wave transmission lines are usually a lot better playing multiple octaves extremely flat bandwidth all around. Then there's 6th orders and basic bass reflex but tuned for SQ accuracy and bandwidth based on cabin gain measurements. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.