Quick and Easy Volume Control of Subs

The versatility of it, and peace of mind. You will catch much less flak using a PAC LC1 than you will a bass knob, too.
When you say bass knob do you mean bass boost knob? Because the Alpine Knob adjusts gain according Sonic Electronix, not a bass boost knob. I'm not downing on either I just see more convenience using the alpine knob for an alpine amp because it plugs into a designated connection for a knob. If I were using any other amp I would see the PAC LC1 being the best option, but I am using alpine and will be using this amp for quite some time. Unless there is an actual difference in what the Alpine knob controls vs what the PAC knob controls? If I've read right, they both are gain knobs.

When you say bass knob do you mean bass boost knob? Because the Alpine Knob adjusts gain according Sonic Electronix, not a bass boost knob. I'm not downing on either I just see more convenience using the alpine knob for an alpine amp because it plugs into a designated connection for a knob. If I were using any other amp I would see the PAC LC1 being the best option, but I am using alpine and will be using this amp for quite some time. Unless there is an actual difference in what the Alpine knob controls vs what the PAC knob controls? If I've read right, they both are gain knobs.
The Alpine knob adjusts the gain, the PAC adjusts the RCA level. Plus, if/when you change amps, you can use the PAC on it, too.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Not to mention it's half the price.

The Alpine knob adjusts the gain, the PAC adjusts the RCA level. Plus, if/when you change amps, you can use the PAC on it, too. 

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 AM ----------

Not to mention it's half the price.
Ohhhh okay, so changing RCA levels would be the better option and thing to do? Does changing rca levels also work in the way gain does in the sense that if I turn it up above what it is set to I risk clipping and distortion? I only plan on using the knob to turn down the sub levels but I wanted to ask anyways....

What's tthe difference between gain and RCA level?Never even heard of RCA level...
If what I have learned is correct, the gain is basically just a sensitivity knob. The higher you turn it up, the more sensitive the amp is. Instead of adjusting how sensitive the amp is, why not adjust the actual level of the incoming signal like a volume knob on a head unit?

Analogy: It makes more sense to put a governer on the intake of a racecar than constantly holding the brakes lightly.

If what I have learned is correct, the gain is basically just a sensitivity knob. The higher you turn it up, the more sensitive the amp is. Instead of adjusting how sensitive the amp is, why not adjust the actual level of the incoming signal like a volume knob on a head unit?
Analogy: It makes more sense to put a governer on the intake of a racecar than constantly holding the brakes lightly.
And so like a volume knob on an HU, turning up an RCA levels knob can still cause distortion and clipping? Correct? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yeah I sorta second that...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/uhoh.gif.c07307dd22ee7e63e22fc8e9c614d1fd.gif
When playing music, you don't turn the gain knob up or down on the amp to adjust the volume. You adjust the level at the source. Either way can work, but it just makes more sense to adjust the source level.

When playing music, you don't turn the gain knob up or down on the amp to adjust the volume. You adjust the level at the source. Either way can work, but it just makes more sense to adjust the source level.
Thanks man, I'll go with the rca levels knob then! You've been a huge help!

And so like a volume knob on an HU, turning up an RCA levels knob can still cause distortion and clipping? Correct? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yes, which is why you set the gains the same way you would with the bass knob. Find the point your head unit clips, turn the PAC all the way up, then adjust the gain on the amp to the desired setting.

Yes, which is why you set the gains the same way you would with the bass knob. Find the point your head unit clips, turn the PAC all the way up, then adjust the gain on the amp to the desired setting.
Okay don't mean to look silly, but that is the same method you told me earlier right? Set HU to level where it distorts (usually 3/4 on pioneers I've heard), turn knob to max and plug in, then set amp gain?

Oh.... You mean just the volume of the music.

If you dont have a gain knob... And just an "RCA knob", you can't change the intensity of the bass on the fly.

Your headunit is an RCA knob. You dont need two.

Use a gain knob to adjust the amp/bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.